• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I thought of a effective and cheap way to filter dust.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crazyman

I have 3 80mm intake fans,and my box is on the floor>
MVC-013F.JPG

and in the front,there is no real good way to put the normal fan filters on>
MVC-015Fm.JPG

so for .59 cents,I went to home depot and bought a home ac/heating filter>
MVC-014Fm.JPG

and just cut a piece out,and now it filters the entire intake area!
MVC-016Fm.JPG

and it is working perfect,what do ya think? :)

actually i have been wanting to go take one of my dads fillters and do that...but im gonna wait for a better case cince mine is small and all my system hardly fits in it, actually i need to have one side off so i can pointe a fan at my rad, and the hoses for my watercooling system stick partially out of the sides and some cords and whatnot

I got some Floor Vent filters that I was intending on using for that specific purpose, but they don't seem as free-flowing as that in-window AC filter. I think I need to go back up to Lowes.

I just use a piece of pantyhose stretched across the fan before bolting it in. Trim with a sharp exacto after it's tight.
I use a dustbuster cordles vac to clean em off, and they don't slow down the airflow one bit.
And as long as the Mrs keeps growing them killer ninja fingernails, I'll always have a supply.:D

Put a piece of that air conditioning filter up to a fan and watch how much it reduces air flow,I tried it before:(
Good idea with the furnace filter though.I was using dryer sheets for awhile,worked pretty good if you use one that has been through a drying cycle:p

Diggrr said:
I just use a piece of pantyhose stretched across the fan before bolting it in. Trim with a sharp exacto after it's tight.
I use a dustbuster cordles vac to clean em off, and they don't slow down the airflow one bit.
And as long as the Mrs keeps growing them killer ninja fingernails, I'll always have a supply.:D

Pantyhose.. LOL I know its effective, just very funny.

*JEREMY* said:
Put a piece of that air conditioning filter up to a fan and watch how much it reduces air flow,I tried it before:(
Good idea with the furnace filter though.I was using dryer sheets for awhile,worked pretty good if you use one that has been through a drying cycle:p

it does'nt seem to slow the air flow enough to make a difference.thats why I showed it up to the light,and with it installed,it seems to work fine . :)

crazyman said:

it does'nt seem to slow the air flow enough to make a difference.thats why I showed it up to the light,and with it installed,it seems to work fine . :)

I'm wondering, do you see the filter through the panel?

cant u just put a regular fan filter on the other side of the fan? i juz assumed u could

i dont realy care about dust i juz clean mine out every once and a while

crazyman said:

I agree. I use the same stuff (probably a different brand) and if you get it thin and sparse enough you won't lose any appreciable airflow.

natopotato said:
cant u just put a regular fan filter on the other side of the fan? i juz assumed u could

i dont realy care about dust i juz clean mine out every once and a while

I clean my boxes out very often too,but,I also have 3 80mm 4500 rpm intake fans,in the front of the box,that can suck alot of dust & dog hair,and if I can limit the dust inside ,I will. :)

I thought about that,but there are too many holes and odd size and shapes and no real good way to attach fan grills. :)
MVC-015Fm.JPG

Ugmore Baggage said:
I just had a thought...

"Active Filtration" You start with a HEPA room air purifier...

You couldn't go into the "clean room" without wearing some kind of isolation suit, 90% of dust is human skin.

Back