• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP has arrived.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

belorsch

Folding Monk
Fedex man delivered my XP1600 along with some other goodies today. Its an AGOGA. Third line begins with a Y which I know is a good stepping on some of the tbirds but not too sure with these XP's though. Hopefully the rest of my goodies will be arriving tomorrow and I can finish putting this together. I plan on taking my time though and praying to the Folding Gods to guide my clumsy hands;) I'm thinking of letting this pc burn-in on folding before I start ocing. What do you think is a good burn-in time on folding before attempting to oc?

belorsch said:
Fedex man delivered my XP1600 along with some other goodies today. Its an AGOGA. Third line begins with a Y which I know is a good stepping on some of the tbirds but not too sure with these XP's though. Hopefully the rest of my goodies will be arriving tomorrow and I can finish putting this together. I plan on taking my time though and praying to the Folding Gods to guide my clumsy hands;) I'm thinking of letting this pc burn-in on folding before I start ocing. What do you think is a good burn-in time on folding before attempting to oc?

The AGOGA is the best stepping so far for oc'ing:) That's great news. I'd probably say 24hrs is a good time for burn-in with folding. You're gonna start moving up the chart with that in your system;)

belorsch ,

Where did you buy this chip? I want one and if I can get it I will come up with the funds I can taste 1.8G can you?

Excellent Belorsch! That AGOGA Y should put up some good numbers. Good luck with the rest of your stuff. :D

jbslow said:
belorsch ,

Where did you buy this chip? I want one and if I can get it I will come up with the funds I can taste 1.8G can you?

I have mine at 1.6#(the exact number's in the sig) and it's only the AGKGA(I think i'm at college and can't remember the exact stepping if it's right or not but it's the first one that came out)It will post at 157 and even load windows but is not stable(nor at 156). It's only at 1.85v though and i'm almost positive that a little more voltage will give me a higher oc(i have to unlock the voltage on the chip first). Anyway the point is that the AGOGA seem to be getting atleast twice the oc as my stepping! This is good news for you guys who have the new stepping. Good luck! I hope you guys can get 1.8ghz chips! (Just imagine the folding power)

P.S. If anyone does get that high i'd really really like to see some Sandra Benchies:D

jbslow: I shelled out the xtra bucks and got it at PCNut. 1.8, that would be spectacular but I'm a newbie at this and I'm just worried about getting it together without chipping the core. I ordered a copper shim but I've read now that shims might hamper hsf contact and keep heat from dissapating. Oh well.
]-[itman: Just a day I was thinking like a week. We can't tell I wanna baby this thing can we:p
I can't wait to see this baby rolling out wu's. I'll keep ya'll posted:D

belorsch said:
jbslow: I shelled out the xtra bucks and got it at PCNut. 1.8, that would be spectacular but I'm a newbie at this and I'm just worried about getting it together without chipping the core. I ordered a copper shim but I've read now that shims might hamper hsf contact and keep heat from dissapating. Oh well.
]-[itman: Just a day I was thinking like a week. We can't tell I wanna baby this thing can we:p
I can't wait to see this baby rolling out wu's. I'll keep ya'll posted:D

I felt the same way when i got mine. But when the time came i couldn't stand it. It wasn't up and running in my system for 30 min before i oc'd this baby. :cool:

BTW Yes shims usually make your temps go up but if you want, you can use it until you get used to taking the hs on and off. I have to say though i remember when i did this the first time. I was worried just like you are but i found out later that these cores are pretty tough. I've had a couple installs where my hand slipped and i thought for sure a corner was chipped but everything was fine(this was on a tbird not the one i have now).

JetMech said:
s

Sometimes too much caution can cause as much damage as no caution at all. Become familiar with the procedure before actual execution and have soft hands. Also keep any applied pressure inline and even (don't let the HSF rock back and forth).
Thanks JetMech, I got the hsf installed last night. It was awkward putting the mb in the case with that dumbell of a Glaciator attached to it. Hopefully I can finish things up tonight and get folding started.

]-[itman said:

I felt the same way when i got mine. But when the time came i couldn't stand it. It wasn't up and running in my system for 30 min before i oc'd this baby. :cool:

BTW Yes shims usually make your temps go up but if you want, you can use it until you get used to taking the hs on and off. I have to say though i remember when i did this the first time. I was worried just like you are but i found out later that these cores are pretty tough. I've had a couple installs where my hand slipped and i thought for sure a corner was chipped but everything was fine(this was on a tbird not the one i have now).

I've never had a worry about chipping the chip (that sounds funny). My concern has been about punching a hole in the mother board when the screw driver slips out of the mounting clip. My copper hsf, Dynatron DY1206BH-638, has a wonderful clip that covers all 3 thingys on both sides and a screw driver slot that the screw driver just about can't slip out of.

But the 2 Thermaltake volcano 5's - that's a different story. I'm still not sure I didn't damage a dimm slot. And in one case, I had to take the hard drive out to get enough angle on the screw driver to get ahold of that thing. I like them. They're nice and quiet. But not the easiest to put on. But not that hard either.

The other worry I have is flexing the mobo too much, because it takes alot of force to get some of those clips on.

Last edited:
If you dont have room take out the mobo to install your hsf.

It only takes at worst 30min to take the mobo in and out it definetly takes me alot longer to earn the money to replace a damaged mobo.

Yeah, so far in my life, it spends quicker than I can earn it.

No, taking out the hard drive was enough.

Ned, the glaciator clip doesn't have a screwdriver slot. I just used the thumb tab and it went on pretty easily. The trick was getting the mb in the case with that hunk of copper on it. I was tempted to use the hsf as a handle:D

Ooooo, yeah, I've been temped to do that, too!!! :D

Fortunately, caught myself in time. I mean, I don't think that would be a good idea.

I've read lots of places to put on cpu and hsf before putting mobo in case, but I've always done it after I put in mobo.

When I was tempted to use it as a handle, I was swapping cases.

belorsch said:
I was tempted to use the hsf as a handle:D

ummm.... I wouldn't know anything about this, nosireee...
ok.....ok. So I did it. I confess. It was me (How self centered is this?). The odd thing was that I wasn't aware that I was doing it right away.

Are you having success with your new rig or still having problems getting power to it?

s

I use the Swiftech 370 on my XP system and it came with the clips that hook to all three lugs on both sides as descibed above. I'm guilty of the HSF as a handle thing too. I trust what my hands tell me and at know time did they say 911:D No guts no glory I say. But then I also drove a car for two years with no rear brakes. I like living on the edge:eek: :( :beer:

JetMech said:
s

I use the Swiftech 370 on my XP system and it came with the clips that hook to all three lugs on both sides as descibed above. I'm guilty of the HSF as a handle thing too. I trust what my hands tell me and at know time did they say 911:D No guts no glory I say. But then I also drove a car for two years with no rear brakes. I like living on the edge:eek: :( :beer:
I have the mc 462 & mcxc 370. the 462 is a duron and 370 is on a t bird and the tbird is running cooler must be a case thing

Ploaf,
I haven't did anymore troubleshooting since then. I spent last night with the wifee and little one. My cables finally came in though. I might try and burn some midnight oil tonight and see if I can figure out whats up. Does a ps have to be connected to a mb and power switch in order to test it? I also need to read up on sickboy's thread about a folding machine and vnc. I wanna keep the celery as a file pc and folder if I don't sell it. I might be pming people with questions tonight:D

Back