• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which SSD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Expired

Registered
Last edited:
For a boot drive an SSD would boot windows faster and make the whole system feel smoother because of the quick access times. But if a program isn't on the SSD then you won't feel the benefit. The Crucial 6bg/s have great read speeds but not great write speeds. OCZ Vertex 2 has better combo of both. I'd recommend just RAID 0 your HDD so all your programs will be faster, not just OS and small programs.

For a boot drive an SSD would boot windows faster and make the whole system feel smoother because of the quick access times. But if a program isn't on the SSD then you won't feel the benefit. The Crucial 6bg/s have great read speeds but not great write speeds. OCZ Vertex 2 has better combo of both. I'd recommend just RAID 0 your HDD so all your programs will be faster, not just OS and small programs.

I thought about getting an ssd drive as my boot dirve and to keep a few games on for the quick access times
I was curious what exactly u meant by "I'd recommend just RAID 0 your HDD so all your programs will be faster, not just OS and small programs"

Ya, I don't know what that means either. This is my first time building a computer and all I know so far is that SSD gives faster load times for applications, and better performance for certain applications and your OS.
I think I want to stick OS, apps, and 1-3 games on an SSD and then use the HDD for everything else.

When you RAID 0 you combine two identical HDD's to work as one meaning double the space and double the speed like I have. Having an SSD will make windows a lot faster but when loading your games and programs on the HDD, it will be very slow. So RAID 0 your current HDD with an identical one to get double the capacity and make all your programs faster, not just the OS. Get it now?

As far as I'm concerned not using SSD is silly. We've been waiting to replace the slow unreliable dinosaur HDD's for decades now.

Even the cheap SSD's are fast, get one now and then as the cash becomes available and add a 2nd, 3rd and 4th in raid0 for insane speeds.

I swapped out the 7200rpm drive in the gf's dell studio xps 16 with an intel x25m 80gb without her knowing. That night she said the internet was running really fast. Couple days later she asked me if I did anything to her computer cause it was running "fast". This coming from a girl who is oblivious to anything other than clothes and shoes. Hell, I just put winter tires on her SUV and she didn't notice (In fairness it was on a second set of identical wheels but still..)

HDD's still have their place.. Adding 2TB to the home server for $100 a pop feels really good.

EDIT.. forgot, when selecting a SSD go for read speeds and $ per GB, the only time you will notice write speeds is when you're extracting an iso or copying very large files, and even then the difference from drive to drive will only be a matter of seconds to tens of seconds.

Last edited:
When you RAID 0 you combine two identical HDD's to work as one meaning double the space and double the speed like I have. Having an SSD will make windows a lot faster but when loading your games and programs on the HDD, it will be very slow. So RAID 0 your current HDD with an identical one to get double the capacity and make all your programs faster, not just the OS. Get it now?

Yup :thup: Thanks :D
Sounds like something i may want to do in the near future :attn:

just wait till pci-e hdds are around and more affordable.. they "should" put ssd drives to shame in some respects

In this poin tand time the pci-e hdds are way too expensive compared to the sata ones. I would get the OCZ Vertex 2. Get at least 80-90 gigs.

Back