• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to forum, 1st-time builder

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheDeej

Registered
Hi everyone,

Diablo 3 gets closer to its mysterious release date as time passes and I need to prepare myself with the proper rig.

My gaming background is primarily console with SC/WC/WoW/Diablo series being the exception but I'm looking to make the transition towards being a more "PC focused" gamer.

My main goal is a decent gaming setup that should play D3 at high settings without a hiccup and allow room for expansion in the future. Basically nothing over the top right away because this isn't my only hobby and motorcycles are expensive too.

I was lurking the forums for info and checking sites for deals and in the process found a combo deal on newegg that seems to match-up with what many on this forum would call a "solid" build.

If some wouldn't mind checking this out and guiding me down the right path it would be much appreciated. I'm curious if this is the way to go, or if possible are there substitutions I would need to make or to cut cost? Also this looks fairly complete (minus peripherals and OS), would there be anything I would need to add to this package?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.549053

Looks good so far, G.Skill Ripjaws are pretty awesome, as well as the 460GTX 1GB version is very popular, very versatile/high-end and a good overclocker (if you do that!).

Only thing I can't comment on are the MD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor (Model: HDZ965FBGMBOX) and the board for it. Gigabyte has never done me wrong, and i like them more than eVGA and ASUS so far. But AMD isn't my strong point as far as knowledge goes.

On the right track as far as I can tell.

If your on here to do some OCing you may wanna look for some after market cooling, I do know the AMD Quads over-clock quite nicely.

Agreed, this looks pretty good. I don't really deal much with AMD systems, at least not with overclocking.

What size monitor are you planning on using? I just ask because the 460 will destroy any game on a screen smaller than 1920x1080, it will do well pretty good on 1920x1080, but on anything bigger (25xx by 12xx?) it may start to struggle.

Again I can't comment on specifics as I don't really play Diablo and WoW and don't know how demanding they are relative to other games. But I would say as long as you have a "regular" sized screen, you should be ok for a while

thanks for quick replies.

As far as OCing goes, I'm really a noob when it comes to PC tech. Eventually I'm sure I will but for the time being I don't think I will need the extra power.

I plan to run a 1920x1080 monitor.

The videos of diablo 3 so far place it in the realm or SC2 and WC3 as far as graphics are concerned. I don't play WoW anymore so that's not really a concern for me but I do see myself getting interested in shooters on the PC.
Last PC shooter I really got into was counter strike back in its hey-day, and honestly the console shooter community is often enough to make you want to turn the gun on yourself!

So my primary concern is Diablo 3, probably with some Battlefield/COD type gaming in there as well. Oh and Brink, that game looks to be fantastic with some pretty impressive visuals. I'm not asking for max settings on everything out of the gate because I know that performance doesn't come cheap, but I just want a rig that can do things well enough that I won't regret my initial purchase of components.

Sorry if I sound like a demanding noob ;)

honestly the console shooter community is often enough to make you want to turn the gun on yourself!

I lol'd. I used to play on PS3, and i thought it was bad with people screaming "OMFG ur such a noob!" and other assorted insults. Then I played on my friend's 360...and it was WORSE. That's why I stick to PC gaming.

But that aside, i think the 460 will be a great choice for you. It OC's pretty well (instructions are easy to find, just use the search function), and will play all of those games well at that resolution with medium to high settings. I mean I still use a GTS 250 on a 1920x1080 monitor and it is fine on most game's high settings (even Crysis, the mother of all games visually).

A 460 GTX will run d3 fine hands down. Blizzard not only is smart about who they market to, but how they build their games. It's a known fact that if 2 games look beautiful, one can still run faster if the developers achieved that beauty in a smart way. It's very easy to make stuff look sexy in 3D/games, what hard is making it looks sexy with a small file size and manageable bandwidth for your customers.. especially since blizzard markets to everyone, not the high-end users.

Hell my 5770 rocks the socks off SC2 with maxed settings except on custom maps where the unit cap gets crazy, but thats not my cards fault :D

Another question as CPU cooling was brought up. With no immediate plans of OC'ing I would like to go with a good air-cooling unit. Are there some good recommendations for an air-cooler that doesn't break the bank? Space shouldn't be a big issue since I plan on using the HAF 922 and reviews say it is wide enough to fit the V8 cooler.

The Hyper212+ is great if you need something cheap.
Best $/performance is the Cogage True Spirit.
Performance king is the Noctua NH-D14.

If you aren't overclocking, and you don't live in an insanely hot area, the stock is fine.

And that is one amazing combo. Really amazing. Everything in there is top quality,

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip Knufire, I read the comparison test after you mentioned it in another thread and I think I'll be giving the Cogage a shot. It performs, looks good, and doesn't cost a bundle.

On another note,

I was reading reviews of the listed components and for the mobo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131647
a reviewer stated "the second 16x slot is really 4x, so crossfire is out", but the description says "crossfireX". Am I missing something here? And also does a mobo being crossfire ready also mean it is SLI ready?

I think the 2nd lane has to be x8 for a crossfire board to have proper bandwith. You can still crossfire but usually your x16 lane turns to x8, and you 2nd PCI-E slot is also x8.

It's also not listed as a crossfire board (most even just have it in the name).

I'm pretty sure crossfire ready is the same as SLI Ready.. but with AMD I'm not sure. I know my 1336 board for my i7 920 is SLi/Crossfire but since AMD/ATI are one now I could be wrong with AMD boards supporting nvidia SLi and Crossfire.

Im sure they support both !

W3ll,
I mad3 som3 chang3s to th3 list to s33 if I could com3 up with som3thing similar but chang3d th3 mobo, GPU, RAM, burn3r, and cas3. I'm starting to pr3f3r th3 scout for th3 build. I won't b3 buying 3v3rything at onc3 so that first combo's discount is irr3l3vant. This combo com3s out a littl3 ch3ap3r in th3 3nd.

Do3s this look lik3 a solid build or should I chang3 som3 things back?
Oh and can you gu3ss which k3y just brok3 on m3? :thup:

edit: just messed up my cart, I'll fix it to show you guys what I was talking about later today.

Last edited:
just made public wishlist but it hasn't posted yet.
Budget is attempting to stay under $1,000.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX

GPU: XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

MoBo: ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

HD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

CD/DVD: ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

PSU: COUGAR POWERX 700 COUGAR-PX700 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

TOTAL from Newegg (not counting promo's and combo's): $827.92

Also plan to run Cogage True Spirit CPU cooler and it's all going in CM Storm Scout case which I already bought for $79.99
Plan on using Cogage True Spirit CPU cooler

Yeah I was planning on going with a smaller Corsair PSU but newegg is running a promo on Cougar's and that on actually comes out to about the same price with the promo code added.

Back