• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

100 dollar vid card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeviantV1ral

currently a pentium D 940 might oc it today once i get a working keyboard.

budget is 100 +-10
1680x1050 res at least 40 fps maybe with 2x AA

games include:
Leagues of Legend
WoW (possibly cataclysm i havent decided yet if i wanna throw my life away)
StarcraftII
L4D 2
Resident Evil 5
Devil may cry 4

offtopic
any good fps what isnt a console port?

WoW is heavily CPU limited, even with the new expansion coming out. That processor is going to hold you back a ton.

I'm assuming that is the same with other games.

Yeah, CPU bottlenecks are often overstated, but considering your particular goals, I'm inclined to say a $100 card might be kinda wasted.

Even something like a GT240 DDR5 should be able to do what you're talking about, and those cards can frequently be had for $40 AR.

really? my friends 9800gt chokes on some games with 1440x900

if i can get away with a 240 the more i can allot for a cpu/mobo maybe even ddr3

im looking into a PII 740 BE hoping to unlock and O/C i just got a cooler master TX3

The issue is, if there is a CPU bottleneck, it won't matter how fast your GPU is since it is waiting for the processor.

im not sure what your saying should i just settle for a 240 or get something faster have it wasted but eventually upgrade the cpu

It depends on what you want to do. If you are going to upgrade your CPU shortly, then I wouldn't worry about getting an older card.

I'm just saying, if you are going to keep your current processor, there is no need to get a high end card.

Yeah, my recommendation of the GT240 was with the assumption you were going to be keeping the Pentium D.

If you're going to be upgrading to a Phenom II or something, then a 5770 or GTS450 would certainly be worthwhile... just don't expect wonders from it while it's paired with your Pentium D.

If you are planning to upgrade soon, then a 460 might be in your budget. They've been as low as $115 recently and I'm waiting to see black Friday prices :D

current are pentium D 940 and 8400gs

should i upgrade cpu first or videocard?

l4d2
sc2
LoL
etc...

When your in the market for a component and on a tight budget you need to be patient and diligent about checking deals every day. The really good ones sometimes come and go fast. This past week in particular, there have been all kinds of opportunities. I took advantage of a number of them myself.

I play WoW...my rig is in my sig. The addons I use only show up to 60 FPS....but in raid with all video detail turned up, I get between 50-60 FPS easily under 1920x1200 resolution using my ATi4870. You can find them used in these forums for under $100 shipped

first thing i tried
WoW: 40-50 fps highest with 8xAA 16x AF 1680x1050
L4D2: highest with all eye candy too
starcraftII High 1680 with forced 8xAA 20s fps
Crysis very High 2x AA 15fps and 18fps on High

Back