• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Did I just Kill my CPU Mobo And/Or PSU during Prime95?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MyBlaster

Registered
I was running Prime 95 on my system, seen below in sig and my computer cut off completely and won't reboot. When I was running prime95 I twisted my computer a bit to see the opposite side of it and then it cut off a few seconds later. Just before that I plugged a 3 pin 120mm fan into a 2pin socket using a converter (did that cause it?)

Basically I'm scared and this is my first system.

My power supply is an OCZ 600Watt ModXStream-Pro OCZ600MXSP

Is my mobo, CPU, GPU, or RAM, possibly in the way done damage?

Please help me.

If my PC does power back on should I chance using it? It's currently unplugged.

My CPU temps were around 55 degrees on Prime95 and my Mobo was about 34 degrees

Clear the CMOS. U may have to pull the battery to do this.
Could be ram. Test with one stick. If nothing then try a different stick and or in a different bank.

Does it post at all? Any beeps? Lights?

Clear the CMOS. U may have to pull the battery to do this.
Could be ram. Test with one stick. If nothing then try a different stick and or in a different bank.

Does it post at all? Any beeps? Lights?

It won't post or even attempt to boot. My lights for power never come on. The fans connected directly to the fan never start. Should I try again, is it safe? it's been about an hour since I've attempted to turn it on.

What is the CMOS?

The CMOS contains the system settings and such so if you clear it, by removing the battery by example, you go back to your stock settings.

The CMOS contains the system settings and such so if you clear it, by removing the battery by example, you go back to your stock settings.

I see the battery on my mobo. But here's the question, before I attempt to remove the battery, is it safe to try to turn on the computer again?

Just to note, you should always refer to your motherboards manual!
On most mobo there is a CMOS clear button or whatever it is so you don't even need to remove the battery. Check on your manual if you haven't yet.

Just to note, you should always refer to your motherboards manual!
On most mobo there is a CMOS clear button or whatever it is so you don't even need to remove the battery. Check on your manual if you haven't yet.

I checked the manual, I see no button.

BTW: How will clearing the CMOS make a difference when the computer is receiving no power at all upon observation?

If there are no lights and no post at all, this kind of sounds like a power issue to me. Do the fans even spin for a second when you hit the power?

Also, what happened when you attempted to power it on after having it unplugged for a while?

If there are no lights and no post at all, this kind of sounds like a power issue to me. Do the fans even spin for a second when you hit the power?

Also, what happened when you attempted to power it on after having it unplugged for a while?

nothing, absolutely nothing, no fans at all, however when I turn it on the PSU LED light is working. The fans that are connected to the PSU directly do not come on at all.

I'm honestly not that worried because I can get a new PSU tomorrow, however, could this damned PSU have taken my RAM GPU CPU and/or Mobo with it? How likely is that to happen?

I would be surprised if it took any other components with it, but I imagine you'll find out tomorrow when you get another PSU. I recently had an OCZ PSU die on me, and fortunately nothing else went down with it.

You can also test your PSU with this trick to find out if it is the problem or not.

I would be surprised if it took any other components with it, but I imagine you'll find out tomorrow when you get another PSU. I recently had an OCZ PSU die on me, and fortunately nothing else went down with it.

You can also test your PSU with this trick to find out if it is the problem or not.

I think I'll just get the new PSU, I'll need the extra power for when I SLI my GTX460s. But thanks for your input, my only concern now is the safety of my other $1000 computer parts, not the PSU. I think I'm going Corsair with the new PSU.

OMG DISREGARD THIS ENTIRE THREAD, I just found out that the little white connector on my mobo wasn't pugged in containing the power button. Guys I'm so sorry I waisted your time.

Mods close please.

Last edited:
Back