• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another tec question lol

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mudajama

How well would it work to put a tec on the bottom of s cm v8 on a 125w CPU?
I guess what I'm asking is.
A. Is a cm v8 powerfully enough to dissipate that kind of wattage
B. If so. With a 125w CPU. What power tec should I use.

I'm not doing any record breaking oc'in. Just wondering how well/how much of a improvement or lack there of I would see over just the V8.

Thanx dudes

It'd likely be worse, once you start OCing your 125w cpu will be eating more like 150-180w (depends on volts), which means you need a 225-300w tec, which means the heatsink has to get rid of 375-480w. The v8 isn't an especially good cooler to start with, it'd be overwhelmed.

With a megahalems or a noctra d14 or some such, you might get some decent temps.

TECs, like most/all sub ambient cooling really, are lousy for 24/7.

Well if you were pushing like 4.1Ghz @ 1.55v you'd be putting out around 180w of heat and a 226.1 TEC would simply not handle that. TEC's aren't very relevant any more as they are far too inefficient to cool today's CPUs. A water cooling kit would work considerably better (you need one to run a TEC anyways...) and will scale much better if you get a nicer one.

Back