• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Single HD to 0 Raid Setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MixedMotives

Registered
Whats the best way if any to clone or image, migrate a single hard drive setup to a 0 raid setup

would installing windows 7 fresh with raid and then then copy everthing over to the raid drives?

or make a hard drive image with norton back or true image or windows backup tool and then use a boot disc and load raid drives and restore image?

would this work??? :confused:

Last edited:
your best bet to prevent any issues would be to just do a fresh install. It honestly doesn't take that much more work and it gives you the opportunity to install only exactly what you have been using once you're back into W7. Enjoy your raid 0 tho.

First of all I despise your avatar picture. Freakin hated "IT". Stupid clone why wont you die. Scared the **** out of me I was younger.

Anyways what you can do is what you already stated. I've done it before and worked for me. Use windows system tools and create backup image copy of the hd on a some other drive and when you put the windows 7 cd in to boot from tell it to restore from image and install it on the raid. Granted to do it this way you have to beable to create the raid array from your bios and not through windows (At least that's what i think, if I'm wrong someone please correct me). If you have to create the raid 0 from windows i would just reinstall windows and just copy the files you want over to the raid, reformat the old hard drive and use it as storage.

First of all I despise your avatar picture. Freakin hated "IT". Stupid clone why wont you die. Scared the **** out of me I was younger.

Anyways what you can do is what you already stated. I've done it before and worked for me. Use windows system tools and create backup image copy of the hd on a some other drive and when you put the windows 7 cd in to boot from tell it to restore from image and install it on the raid. Granted to do it this way you have to beable to create the raid array from your bios and not through windows (At least that's what i think, if I'm wrong someone please correct me). If you have to create the raid 0 from windows i would just reinstall windows and just copy the files you want over to the raid, reformat the old hard drive and use it as storage.

i can do raid from bios but i thought you had to install raid controller driver threw windows too

RAID controller drivers are installed during the Setup stage. And since you'll be installing Win7 to the array, chances are good that the DVD will contain the driverset needed for whichever controller the drives are connected to.

RAID controller drivers are installed during the Setup stage. And since you'll be installing Win7 to the array, chances are good that the DVD will contain the driverset needed for whichever controller the drives are connected to.

so if i clone it to the raid it will already have raid controller in the previous install
so i shouldnt have to do a fresh install

Back