Notices

Overclockers Forums > Software > Internet, Networking, and Security
Internet, Networking, and Security Networking and Viruses/Malware trouble. Get the answers here.
Forum Jump

Wireless N

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 11-24-10, 01:36 PM Thread Starter   #1
Jakey
Registered

Wireless N

I have just got a new adsl netgear modem/router. I only have one device in the network which has a wireless n adaptor. I have 2 PS3's and a laptop not on n.

My PC with an N adaptor is getting 130mbps to 144mbps out of the 300mbps.

My question is shall I set the router to run in up to 145mbps mode? - Will this increase reliability and keep the same speed? - Even create less heat?

Thanks.

| 2 Gainward GTX 460 1GB 800mhz | Corsair Pro AX850 |

| Crucial 64GB 350mb/s SSD | 640GB Sata 6GB/s HDD |

| Lian Li PC-P50R case | Blu-ray/DVD RW Combo |

| Acer GD245HQ 24" 120Hz Monitor | Nvidia 3D Vision |
Jakey is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-25-10, 12:16 PM   #2
DreamerBrian

I would assume that the difference between 300Mbps mode and 145Mbps mode is that 300Mbps is full duplex and 145Mbps is half. If you change to 145Mbps mode your speed will most likely decrease due to the interface only transmitting OR receiving at once(half duplex) instead of transmitting AND receiving at once(full duplex). The router heat may decrease but probably only by a negligible amount.

Hope this helps.
Brian

Old 11-27-10, 03:03 AM   #3
CompuTamer
Member with Some Fancy Text Under His Name

300MBPs is the theorictical max that the tech can sustain. It will never be seen with even one wall in place.... you might see close to it in direct line of site in close proximity, but even then it's unlikely.

I think Brian is right. By forcing the router to sustain 145, you'd probably cause it to switch to half duplex, meaning that you can only send OR receive. Not send AND receive. Router heat would be negligible in either case.

8 GB G-Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 @ 1.65 Volts ...........................................4GB Hyundai DDR2 800
60GB OCZ Solid 3 + 320GB WD Blue+ 1TB WD Green...............................Intel 320 80GB
Antec 900.................................................. .......................................Titanium Lid
BFG GS-650.................................................. .....................................Various HP AC Adapters
XFX Radeon HD 4850 (660/1060 53C Idle 62C Load) @ 1.31 vCore............ATI X2300 Pro
Dual Dell E2311H LED 1920x1080.................................................. .......14.1" 1440x900
Windows 8 ProMC.................................................. .............................Windows 8 ProMC
Those specs up there? They're silent. Silence is good. Very good.
Your Core 2 Quad is based off of the Pentium pro in a few ways.
CompuTamer is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Software > Internet, Networking, and Security
Internet, Networking, and Security Networking and Viruses/Malware trouble. Get the answers here.