• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help on RAM clearance from cooler...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Clutch Cargo

Hi guys,

Very new here but have been researching on these forums.

"Specking" out my new system to build. Through researching I see I might have some issues if I go with some type of G.Skill RAM which I am leaning towards. The hardest part has been selecting RAM for my system. I am looking for some good 1600 or 2000 RAM (in an 8GB - 2 x 4GB configuration). Seems the 'Flares' are designed specifically for the 1090T?

I am planning the following build around my AMD Phenom II 6-core 1090T:

1.ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

2. Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

3. G.SKILL Flare Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Desktop Memory Model F3-16000CL9D-8GBFL

The issue I am having is the large cooler has 44mm of clearance. Those "fins" on the G.Skill look awfully high. Will there be room? Are the heat sinks removable? Anybody have a combination similar to mine that works with G.Skill? Or another type RAM suggestion?

Thanks for any input,

Clutch

(P.S. - Would I notice really any difference if I went from 2x4GB to 4x2GB?)

That heatsink for the cpu is huge, so I would be worry as well.
My system has the Megahalems as a heatsink, with 2 fans, one push and one pull. But it does go cover my ram on my motherboard (Asus M4A79XTD evo)
I had to use the 2 slots on the right (out of 4) because of how tall the fins were. I had the g.skill ripjaw ram 1333mhz. But I sold it because of a recent deal a few months ago and got Mushkin Blackline 1600mhz which are much lower and fixs right under the fan.

In your case, I'd go with 2x4gb so that you'd only be taking up 2 slots, so you can use the 2 slots to the right (furthest) away from the heatsink. I doubt theres any differences between 2x4gb or 4x2gb, if there is, very little unnoticeable difference

The fins can be removable, but its not worth it because they keep the ram cooler and it voids warranties, which I'd be careful for because I had a set of ram defect on my this year.

I recommend looking at some Mushkin ram because they're small, and has the speeds easy. Also, just go with 1600mhz, not 2000mhz because the difference is also minimum unless your going to be doing a lot of heavy rendering

Back