• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do Intel SSDs in RAID support trim yet?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gsrcrxsi

ok so i have 2 intel 80 GB (G2) drives in RAID-0. performance is great (500/140 roughly) but drive space is dwindling with all my games installed to them. only about 30GB free space left. so i am going to redo the raid array with a 3rd 80GB intel drive for a 240GB RAID-0 array with 3x 80GB drives. performance should get another bump too. plus the price is much more reasonable (just picked up the third drive for 173 shipped from Newegg.

thats all good, but when i put this system together TRIM was not supported in RAID arrays. quick google search on this matter yields many "TRIM now supported in RAID!" results dated to late march. but is this true? or is that just that if you have a raid array (not including the SSD) you can still run TRIM on the SSD that is separate from the array? i think thats how it was. so has anything changed? i do plan to do an HDD wipe on the two drives, then update all drives to the same firmware before creating the new array. I havent seen any performance decay in the raid array i have now, so if i have to stick with no TRIM its not a deal breaker or anything, it would just be nice to preserve the life and performance.

thanks!:santa2:

Nothing has changed. TRIM is still not supported for drives inside a RAID array. The Intel drives have pretty good garbage collection, so even without TRIM the performance stays good.

What exactly is garbage collection? Is it like deleting files that I set to delete? I've always been confused about that. And it's on the drive controller onboard right? So being in a raid array doesn't matter for that? I thought GC was a separate trim-like method that was used by the OCZ drives and not compatible with intel drives. Someone cure my confusion lol.

Anyone know what the holdup is with TRIM+RAID? Is anyone working on it? Or is itsomething that likely will never happen?

It is not the drives that is the problem with TRIM and RAID, it is the drivers. Currently there aren't any drivers that can pass the TRIM command to a RAID array. Garbage collection (GC) is a sort of TRIM but instead of happening when the recycle bin is emptied (which is TRIM) it happens when the drives are left idle (in a RAID array or not). The drives themselves do GC (where as TRIM is actually an OS command passed to the SSD) and is easiest done when the computer sleeps in S1 mode (not S3 because that turns the drives off) for a time (say overnight). This is a great article from Anandtech regarding TRIM, GC and SSD's in general.

Last edited:
Back