• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Run GPU while testing for CPU temps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Erik765

I should be ready to start benching my new water cooled loop here soon for DTs while overclocking.

One thing I've never come across while reading around here is running Furmark (or something of the like), while seeing how far you can push your DTs on a CPU overclock.

Do people just not do that? I don't want to get my CPU to 4.2, for example with a DT of lets say 6, then thinking I'm good to go, then starting up a game and here comes my GPU on the loop and pushes my DTs way over that.

Is this common practice?

One way or the other, it's a good idea correct?

In case you need it, I'll be running a i5-760 and a GTX-460 on the same loop. 120x4 push/pull with shrouds.

Let me know your ideas! Thank you!

I should be ready to start benching my new water cooled loop here soon for DTs while overclocking.

One thing I've never come across while reading around here is running Furmark (or something of the like), while seeing how far you can push your DTs on a CPU overclock.

Do people just not do that? I don't want to get my CPU to 4.2, for example with a DT of lets say 6, then thinking I'm good to go, then starting up a game and here comes my GPU on the loop and pushes my DTs way over that.

Is this common practice?

One way or the other, it's a good idea correct?

In case you need it, I'll be running a i5-760 and a GTX-460 on the same loop. 120x4 push/pull with shrouds.

Let me know your ideas! Thank you!

LOL, it is always recommended, prime95, 8k on all but one core, and furmark for the gpu for at least a 30 minutes before taking a reading of water temps.

why 8k on all but one core? why not all cores at 8k?
Sorry for the newb question I have never heard why

8k on all cores will not give the the gpu enough cpu cycles to maximize the gpu load. You can try any configuration you want to, but that has worked the best for me.

Back