• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rampage III Start Up Issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackbird

PC Setup
1. Case – Antec 1200
2. MB – Rampage III Extreme
3. CPU – i7-950
4. Mem – 12 gb Kingston hyperx 1600
5. Cooler – Noctua nh-d14
6. video card – MSI gtx460 hawk
7. HDD - 4 120gb WD (2 SATA and 2IDE with SATA converter)
8. PSU – Antec cp-1000
9. PS2 keyboard
10. Monitor – Viewsonic crt
11. Bios – came with 901 updated to 1005

I just built the system and I am having trouble getting it to power up and post. The first time I turned it on I was able to get the system to post and navigate the bios. It recognized all the hardware including the IDE drives with the SATA converters. I was just starting up the system to see what would happen. I made some changes to the date and the boot drive order. Saved the changes and now it will not boot. I have taken the mother board out and reseated the cpu, reapplied the TIM and reinstalled cooler. I reseated all the memory. I tried using just one stick of memory. I tried booting outside of the case. I removed all the cable connections, reconnected all the cables and reinstalled the video card. The 1200 does not have a case speaker so I can only use the LEDs and ROG Connect to try and diagnose issues. When I press the start button on the case or the MB the fans start (PSU, case, CPU and Video card. The CPU LED turns on. The system then shuts down. Clearing the CMOS using the button or disconnecting the PSU power cord only allows the power button to work. The PC still only stays on about one or two seconds. Using ROG Connect from my laptop the message displayed before the PC shuts down is ‘CPU Initial’. Also I updated the bios to 1005 from 901 (came loaded). Since I could not get into the bios I used the ROG Connect from a usb drive. I do not have access to another MB, PSU, memory or video cards. Also I do not know anyone locally that can help me. I have not seen any other posts on the internet with this same problem. I know this is a long post but I wanted to give as much information as possible. Having read other posts on the internet I think I will have to RMA the R3E. I have not done any overclocking at this time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Besides the 24-pin ATX power connection, have you also connected the PSU to one of the two 8-pin AUX_PWR (EATX12V) connectors?

As far as that goes, just connect the one 8-pin, and leave the other 8-pin disconnected. And will it POST w/ 3 RAM modules installed in a triple-channel config.?

I will try that tomorrow. I have been trying all day to get it to work and I have put it away for the night. Thanks for the help.

Back