• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ethernet Splitter problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

craig-202

I bought an ethernet splitter (3 female) so i could connect my xbox and laptop to the internet in my bedroom. I have a 20m cable going through my house.
I set them all up, checked the cables worked and they did. But when I put both in the splitter, no internet was coming through. I tried them individually and they worked fine.
Is there some sort of settings that i need to change or have bought a dodgy product?

Thanks to anybody who can help me!

I'm confused what you mean by "ethernet splitter". Did you buy a switch? Either way, please link to what you purchased so there is no confusion.

Sounds like you bought something similar to a phone line splitter. This won't work. You need a switch to network all those devices.

Apparently you bought a jack splitter.

An ethernet splitter uses the 8 wires for 2 4-wire BASE-T connections, finding those proper splitters is pretty rare and buying a few punchdown jacks is easier to get your hands on, and cheaper.
For more than two things over a line, use a switch.

I bought an ethernet splitter (3 female) so i could connect my xbox and laptop to the internet in my bedroom. I have a 20m cable going through my house.
I set them all up, checked the cables worked and they did. But when I put both in the splitter, no internet was coming through. I tried them individually and they worked fine.
Is there some sort of settings that i need to change or have bought a dodgy product?

Thanks to anybody who can help me!

You need a router or something capable of assigning IP addresses. If you cable/DSL modem can only assign a single address (and this is my guess since you can get it to work with a single attached but not more) then you will need a router.

Last edited:
Back