• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

955 dropped a core SCARE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CgS Drone

Was looking at installing Linux Mint 10 today and when playing around with the LIVE CD and looking at my hardware I noticed it only recognized 3 cores on the cpu, figuring it was just an error in Linux I rebooted into Windoze to see it was only seeing 3 cores also, at this point I got nervous and pulled up CPU-z and it said 3 cores also.

Now I'm getting really nervous :shock: so I took off to the bios and seen that for some reason (probably an I D 10 T error) that one of the cores had been disabled in the bios. Set it to activate the other core and all is well. I really didn't need that this early in the morning :rofl:

OK figured out what the problem was. It was an I D 10 T error, somehow I set the bios to unlock. With this enabled and cpu leveling set to auto it had disabled the #3 core, I went into the bios and set cpu leveling to manual and enabled the #3 core then set it back to auto and this allowed the core to work. After that I tried a stress test and it kept failing it also would not allow Core Temp to work for some reason so I went back into the bios and found the unlock enabled and once I disabled that everything started working fine. Strange things happen when you hit the wrong keys I guess.

Interesting that the unlock feature disabled core temp reporting even on a quad. It's well known that core temps are disabled with unlocked X2's and X3's ...

Interesting that the unlock feature disabled core temp reporting even on a quad. It's well known that core temps are disabled with unlocked X2's and X3's ...

That is not unusual. I was playing around with ACC this summer with my Athlon II X4 and discovered that I lost temp monitoring when ACC was enabled. I don't think it makes any difference if you start with a locked core or not.

Well this taught me to just go the long route about booting to a CD. Is what happened is I have my bios set to boot from the HD and when I wanted to use the LIVE CD I figured I would just hit the F-key to get to the short cut for booting from CD-Rom well I hit the unlock which is also off of the F-keys as well so this is what started all the problems I just never noticed it did that when I hit the wrong F-key during boot up. Next time I will just go into the bios and set it up to boot from the CD :fight: its easier and wont give me a stress test :D.

Back