• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Highest Phenom II X4 945 Stable OC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

karmuhhhh

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I was just wondering if any member here have the x4 945 chips and what their highest overclock is. I currently have mine at 3.81 and it is completely stable. Max temp at full load is 49c :)

Here's my system:
Phenom II X4 945 (duh)
GA-890GPA-UD3H MB
4GB DDR3 1600MHz Adata Gaming RAM (7-7-7-20 Timings)
2x ATI XFX Radeon HD 5830
Corsair F40 Boot Drive + 640GB Hitachi @ 7200RPM
Corsair tx750w PSU
Antec 300 case

For cooling I have a Corsair H50 Push/Pull setup and I'm running Windows 7 x64.

Here's my validation: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1506157

I am planning on going even higher with my OC, but wanted to know what kind of luck everyone else has been having :)

What kind of numbers are ya hoping for? I have the Phenom II X4 965 coming in the mail and i'd be happy to get 4Ghz out of it :D

Well, I was hoping for a nice 3.9

I know 4GHz is supposed to be near-impossible since I have the C2 revision. I would need some serious cooling and voltage tweaking to get my 945 to 4 ghz.

Right now I'm at 3.82 and it's going strong. However, with your 965 BE you should easily hit 4 ghz as long as you have sufficient cooling! Those 125w cpus can get pretty toasty.

However, with your 965 BE you should easily hit 4 ghz as long as you have sufficient cooling! Those 125w cpus can get pretty toasty.
I hope so... I haven't really looked into any coolers yet cause i don't plan on overclocking it right away... maybe in a few months, i'm supposed to get all my parts from newegg on monday :D

:welcome: to OCF!

We had someone break smash 4 GHz with a Phenom II 920 http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/screenshot/986681.png but that kind of thing is pretty rare.

Keep playing with yours, I bet you've got another 100 MHz in there somewhere ... :)

Thanks for the welcome :) That 920 OC is crazy, jeez. He must either have some sort of phase cooling or water cooling with an ambient of like 5c, lol. I seem to have hit the stability wall at 3.87. I can do 20 passes of IBT and run Prime 95 for an hour @ 3.87 with no issues. Maximum temp was around 53c. Once I got to 3.88, it was no longer stable, still trying to figure out why. I'm assuming I could do a suicide clock and just see how high I could get it sans stability, but I will save that for a later date :)

I hope so... I haven't really looked into any coolers yet cause i don't plan on overclocking it right away... maybe in a few months, i'm supposed to get all my parts from newegg on monday :D

Well I am VERY happy with the way my H50 performs, and the H70 is supposed to be even better for a mere $25 more. I have built two 965 BE rigs for friends, and let me tell you, the air cooling is really hard to get it up there. It is most definitely possible, as many, many people have done it, but if your ambient temp is too high then forget it. One of the rigs I built had a $60 Zalman pure copper fan and I couldn't get it higher than 3.82 without hitting a temperature wall (not BSOD, but temp was like 60c!). I would recommend the H50, H70, or a SERIOUS air cooler.

I'm pretty sure, though not positive, that was a suicide run. But the stable OC was over 4 GHz, IIRC.

It does look like you're up against the Heat Wall there ...

Well I am VERY happy with the way my H50 performs, and the H70 is supposed to be even better for a mere $25 more. I have built two 965 BE rigs for friends, and let me tell you, the air cooling is really hard to get it up there. It is most definitely possible, as many, many people have done it, but if your ambient temp is too high then forget it. One of the rigs I built had a $60 Zalman pure copper fan and I couldn't get it higher than 3.82 without hitting a temperature wall (not BSOD, but temp was like 60c!). I would recommend the H50, H70, or a SERIOUS air cooler.

The H70 looks promising... I'm not sure how or where to mount the radiator tho... I'm worried about some of the really big air coolers with double fans cause i hear they can hit your ram if you have heat sinks on them which i have bout the tallest ones u can get
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227559

The H70 looks promising... I'm not sure how or where to mount the radiator tho... I'm worried about some of the really big air coolers with double fans cause i hear they can hit your ram if you have heat sinks on them which i have bout the tallest ones u can get
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227559

Well Corsair has a wonderful video on their website that tells you step by step how to install it :)

If you ever run into trouble just ask someone on the forums! Someone will be able to guide you. But yes sometimes big fans can get in the way of those big ram heatsinks, so just one more reason to go for the H70 :)

Happy New Year

hi
i managed to get my c3 945 stable at 4.1 with a bucket of cold water!
i was waiting for the chiller to arrive and basically fed the waterblocks with 4degrees c antifreeze in a 32 litre open res.
unfortunately the chiller has been sent back so i never really got to see how much more i could get out of the chip...
i am pretty sure it could easily go higher but of course if your clocking the fsb then your putting strain on the rest of the system too
on a side note it seems amd boards are easier to oc than nvidia's,mine would hit walls at certain freq's but lowering the multivand increasing the fsb would overcome that,even if the target freq is the same !?!

Back