• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

300Gb Veloceraptor $100 at Newegg

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Amazing deal.

I have 2 that I got for 170$ each. If your blacks still aren't zippy enough this is the way to go for game storage!

Thank you very much.

I have been using a 74 GB Raptor for many years. Still working perfect but just to small really. $100 for a 300 gb Veloceraptor with Free Shipping, no chance I'm passing it by.

eh.... dunno if i could spend this much for 300gb of a mechanical drive... rather sacrafice some space and spend a lil more for a ssd if i wanted fast.... but decent deal non the less on the lil drive, apparently they are pretty darn quiet.

eh.... dunno if i could spend this much for 300gb of a mechanical drive... rather sacrafice some space and spend a lil more for a ssd if i wanted fast.... but decent deal non the less on the lil drive, apparently they are pretty darn quiet.

I have the 150GB. Most reliable freakin drive I've had since they used to make hard drives well--- and that was like fifteen years ago. Two years 24/7 never a problem. Can't hear it up against my ear. CAN hear it read / write mind you. Just can't hear it spin.

They get warmer than your average drive in their form factor and they really benefit from having air pass over them. Have a fan near by.

images

It comes with it's own heatsink. IME it's best to blow air across it in the direction of the fins than mount a fan to it.

It's a fast drive. Seriously. It's kinda cute and unique looking too all fat and 2.5" mated to it's fat *** heat sink...

^^^ Lol

I bought one. Never had a raptor before, should be interesting. Really wanted to go SSD but just are not big enough for what i need in my price range.

Thanks OP, in for 1 for my new I7 build, ssd's just dont look reasonable enough yet and this should rock for now.

This is a great deal, but why the hell is the 150 GB version of this drive fifty bucks more expensive?

Last edited:
i have 2 of the 300s.. both w/o the ice pack or w/e its called.. they do get warmer, but just having air passing over them work out well enough without needing the extra pack for expansion into a 3.5" bay

great deal either way

in for one....but i might just but another.

EDIT:Looks like am going to be pushing my PSU to the limits....
EDIT2: LOL @ Newegg review.

Pros: received this drive christmas 2009, absolutely have LOVED it since day one. win 7 pro x64 runs like Jerry Rice in his prime in the NFL, wisely, fast, and agile! no O.S. install problems, performance degradation only apparently when over 75% of the storage capacity is filled.

Its a good deal...though I never thought they made that much of a difference. As opposed to the difference between SSD's and raptors which is enormous.

They lasted pretty long 74GB about 5 years the 150GB 4 years, it was an OEM so I never bothered with warranty. They were run hard 24/7 with small writes(Folding@Home).

I think 300GB is the sweet spot, where you don't have to bend over backwards trying to keep from running out of room. You can be kinda lazy keeping track of what gets installed to it.

Last edited:
+1 to dfondas reply.. i found it to be the sweet spot.. i can almost forget alltogether whats installed and since O&O defrag runs constantly during idle times its always pretty clear and optimized

oh man... must resist... xmas gifts just cleaned me out for a bit and don't like charging stuff.

I loved my 36 gig raptor that I got for more than this and used.

Back