• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which drive to install WoW

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Holymacaroni

I have a 120g SSD as my boot drive, and 2 HHD 1tbs as manual storage drives (aka no raid setup). Would it hurt to install WoW on a storage drive or would it be best to use the boot drive?

Wow will run just fine from a storage drive. The only thing you would see putting it on an SSD is load times will be a little faster. I run my wow from a storage drive and it runs great.

I wouldn't put wow on an ssd, at least I didn't on mine because it's TYPICALLY a common updater.

Why wouldn't you put it on a SSD? My login time from the character screen to the playing field (everything loaded) is less than 6 seconds. I run a second account off my mechanical hard drive and it is painfully slow.

Who cares if it updates all the time? Not going to hurt the drive.

Why wouldn't you put it on a SSD? My login time from the character screen to the playing field (everything loaded) is less than 6 seconds. I run a second account off my mechanical hard drive and it is painfully slow.

It could prematurely age the drive.

So would installing the operating system and installing/using programs. It would take many years of constant writing to kill the drive. You aren't going to damage it.

You bought it for speed, why would you not use it? It would be like buying a Ferrari and not driving it because it would cause wear and tear on it. Why buy it then?

So would installing the operating system and installing/using programs. It would take many years of constant writing to kill the drive. You aren't going to damage it.

You bought it for speed, why would you not use it? It would be like buying a Ferrari and not driving it because it would cause wear and tear on it. Why buy it then?
:clap: Well said!

I agree for any mmo where logging into an instance or a new zone can be the difference between life and death when you have a group of pk's on your tail. I remember when vanguard first came out and you moved from one "chunk" or zone to another. If you had a slow hard drive it would take forever. It would give the quicker hard drive players an advantage on the other side.

It's not terribly uncommon for the supercars to be driven only on the race track ;). (I do understand what you were going for but I'm just being difficult :p )

I wouldnt call it painfully slow. Running off a 7200 rpm drive it takes me 15-20s to load into the game or an instance.

15-20 seconds when there is basically no load time is painful. Once I'm in the game, moving between zones (Dalaran -> Org, Org -> TB, etc) is literally instant. I see the loading screen for less than 1/4 of a second and I'm in. My other drive is still loading after 10+ seconds. That is painful.

Meh, for me it's not much of a compromise. 128GB ssd or raid 0'd velociraptors. They're on the raptors now.

It loads it before you login, how awesome is that? Negative load time.

Yeah I put WoW on my SSD and the load times are extremely low. It's a treat :D And it's definitely worth it as far as wearing down your drive because by the time the drive wears down, you'll have a new one anyways!

WoW will run fine from your storage drives but there's no reason to put it on them. Put it on your SSD and enjoy the quick loading times.

+1 For putting it on the SSD. I wouldn't store your entire iTunes library on it, but definitely games that you play often that have potentially annoying load times. You did buy it because it was faster right? No better feeling than seeing your load times decrease in first hand experience...

Back