• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless Router Question WRT54GL

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Huserx

Hey All,

I am looking to improve and extende my wireless network by replacing my Belkin Pre-N Wireless router with (2) routers. One setup as an access point.

I see and hear alot of good about the WRT54G and using DDWRT. I also see some N rated linksys routers with mediocre reveiws.

Are the WRT54G or GL still the king of the hill, is there any benefit really in not getting the WRT54GL (especially since it's on sale lol)?

The router is positioned upstairs on one end of the house, we have a wireless desktop using a USB networking adapter at the opposite end of the house as well as a laptop and wireless printer. Upstairs there is a second wireless laptop and a hard wired desktop.

I was thinking of replacing the existing router then running a cat 5 to the second router halfway accross the upstairs to extend and strengthen the coverage at the opposite end of the house..

Thoughs and comments (useful in nature) are appreciated..

Thanks

IIRC, only some of the older G versions can run third-party firmware. GL is still good.

I have a GL as my 2nd router for my old pc and old tablet notebook (both have crap wifi) and run ddwrt and its peachy..

if you plan on using the gl as the 2nd modem, can you run some cat5 through the wall down 1 level and place it as an access point somewhere else on another level.. from my experience, though the signal is nice and with ddwrt it gets a little stronger, it still doesn't work awesome 2 floors away. If you plan on that route, i'd suggest finding some cheap higher gain antennas or get the antenna extension wire and try putting it near a window so the signal goes outside and not just through the floors (lots of pipes/wiring interferes with signal strength, especially if theres a drop ceiling anywhere)

Back