• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XFX RMA 5870 how does it work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Just a nickname

I am in the process to RMA my video card. I am wondering if I can spend a bit more to get a 5970 instead of a new 5870. I really want to change of model as this one cannot have voltage increase... Is it possible?

They would not allow me to upgrade.

I sent back a Nvidia 9800GTX+ to get replaced, they sent me back a ATI 4850. Now I will admit I am a bit of a Nvidia fan boy but they only sent me a email saying a replacement card had been shipped. I get the replacement card and open it and find out its a ATI so I called them before even trying to install the card and told them that I had sent them the Nvidia and wanted one as a replacement, they told me that they no longer manufactured that card or a higher grade Nvidia and that the 4850 was the closest thing they had to offer, so I said I would like to send it back and upgrade then he told me they don't do that.

But maybe a phone call ahead of time can make it happen since yours is a newer card than mine was. They are fairly fast at testing the RMA and I am happy that they replaced the card and would buy from them again if they had what I was wanting for the right price but will more than likely be going with a EVGA/Gigabyte or MSI on my next GPU.

What kind of test they do? I want to RMA it because of the noise. I can't change the cooler and the 5970 model I'd like to have in replacement (I am whiling to pay the extra 300$) is compatible with after market coolers...

RMA b/c of noise? Seriously? They wont accept that if you tell the truth...

Why cant you change the cooler?

Honestly your best bet is to sell it here for a bit of a loss and buy your 5970.

is it not spouse to make that noise, because RMS works if there is someting wrong.

You want to RMA so you can possibly get a card (which wont happen) that has voltage control and you are using noise as an excuse?

Have I read all this right?????

They will test your card and send it right back and charge you for shipping lol.

And your 5870 will take an aftermarket cooler, do some research. Im using a ThermalRight HR03 on my 5850 w/out an issue.

We don't support abuse of RMA services - it increases operational costs, which impacts the bottom line for everyone.

The cooler being noiser than you like or desiring an upgrade is not a valid RMA justification. If you want to upgrade, sell what you have, and use the money towards doing it the right way. :thup:

You want to RMA so you can possibly get a card (which wont happen) that has voltage control and you are using noise as an excuse?

Have I read all this right?????

They will test your card and send it right back and charge you for shipping lol.

And your 5870 will take an aftermarket cooler, do some research. Im using a ThermalRight HR03 on my 5850 w/out an issue.

No there is no after market compatible with rev 2 board. We are talking about 5870 here also, so do some research man before talking and accusing some one of something you don't know. All the VRM configuration is changed thus everything including vrm heatsink is incompatible.

As for the abusive RMA, I find abusive to sell hot and noisy cards. If I am going to be stuck with the same card, it doesn't worth to RMA indeed. However, if I can change my card, thus having the possibility to chose a model compatible with aftermarket cooler, I'd give nearly anything for that!
Of course, I highly doubt they won't do some test to be sure my card is faulty. I am not that stupid!

Now, I don't need a better card but I am living with a constant white noise in my living room plus a jet plane when playing. I am pretty sure they will never accept to change the model unless I am paying more.
So that is the question: Is it possible to pay more to change a RMA'ed product?
No. End of the line thanks.

RMA is not an upgrade process, and rarely will they provide exchanges. If you aren't happy with your purchase, you can go back to the vendor/retailer and attempt to get a return, exchange, or upgrade - that depends on their return policy.

No there is no after market compatible with rev 2 board. We are talking about 5870 here also, so do some research man before talking and accusing some one of something you don't know.

Why is this not compatible?

http://thermalright.com/products/index.php?act=data&cat_id=30&id=164

Check the cooler dimensions. VRM cannot be cooled unless you add a VRM cooler.

VRM coolers aren't compatible with rev2 board as said above.

This cooler is compatible but will only cool the GPU.

I mean... The VRM sinks must be cooled with an air flow to not fry this card. By only looking at the stock cooler, you can see it is making contact with the coils + chokes and pushing some air on the sotck VRM sink.
I may be wrong but this cooler looks definitively too short to properly cool the board.

So yea. ****ing crap I don't know what to do now. I guess I'll have to spend an extra 20-40 buck only to try to fit my AC xtreme on that card.

You don't need to worry about cooling the caps or chokes. So all you really need to do is slap some VRM sinks on with AS adhesive and you are set I believe... They'll get a bit of airflow from the wash of the heatsink fan. You don't want to use pads or adhesive tape, they don't transfer heat nearly as well as ramsinks applied directly with thermal adhesive

Lol in the refrigerator?
Well, I'll try to fit the AC on the card...

Would be still easier to RMA it :rolleyes:

Problem is that I have these kind of heat sink (left bottom - the long one):
3397885559_2aa44ce50e.jpg

Is it possible to remove them even with the refrigerator technique?

Back