• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP MOVE RAID TO NEW MB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

plzlisn

I've read a lot of forums about moving a RAID array from one system to another, but none that exactly fit my situation. (though I'm sure it's out there and I just can't find it)

So if anyone can tell me how to do this or point me to the link that can I'd so much appreciate it!!

I have my RAID 10 backed up with an image file, made by Windows 7, on a seperate eSATA harddrive. My MB fried so now I would like to rebuild.

I've a new(meaning different) MB, RAM, CPU. I understand that the partitions have to be exact to restore the Backup, but can you really restore the image file on a system that is completely different? Should I do clean install of Windows 7 in RAID 10, same partition sizes and then try to Restore with the image backup?

New MB is: ASROCK 870 Extreme3
New CPU: Phenom II x4 965BE
New RAM: GSkill 1600

Old RAID made with Ich8r Intel Storage Matrix

If that info is even necessary.

Thanks so much for any help you can give.

The image backup will just overwrite any partitioning you do. And overwrite the fresh OS install. You will likely end up with a BSOD with new hardware. You could try it if you need to recover data. But the best option will be a fresh install

Thank you for your reply.

Can I load from my Repair disc at the beginning or would that just do the same thing?

How can I get my programs all loaded from my image without having to load each one again?

Im really not sure it will hold the array when moving from ICHR8 to 10..... that image may be useless especially if you switched chipsets which it appears you ahve done.

If you reimage the array you should still be able to access your files if you boot a live cd or something. Backup the data you want from the image. Go through the fresh install process and re apply the data you backed up. Then create a new image from the fresh install on the new hardware. That's what I would do.

Unfortunately, you are not going to be able to keep your installed programs. You will have to reinstall them again. You can't just "move files" to your new installation and have a working installation. It's much more complicated than that. Like I said; backup data, fresh install OS &drivers, reinstall programs, replace backed up data, make new image.

Try this:

Restore the Image onto a new HDD (NON RAID) that can store ALL of your data and install it on the new motherboard. Boot up off of that HDD. If it bluescreens on you, then boot off of the Windows 7 DVD Install. go to Repair and run a startup repair.

It SHOULD load up basice IDE/SATA drivers, and then restart the PC.

If it loads Windows7 fine, then that's good. install the chipset driver and manually install the AMD RAID drivers.

Then set up a RAID10 from the hard drivesand clone your data from that HDD I mentioned earlier.

This tends to work, sometimes it does not, and it's a time consuming process.

ok I'll try that though I only have 5 SATA connectors and 4 are used by the RAID and 1 for the DVD I have the eSATA with the Backup on it. I'll try and and get an enclosure that uses USB to put the image on and boot from. I'll let you know.

Thanks again for the advice.

Back