• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Indecision on new gigabit router/firewall

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enablingwolf

Senior Member overclocking at t
For a while now <years> my WRT54GS v1.0 (DD-WRT v24-sp2 (09/01/09) std) router has been an utter fantastic workhorse. Of late the tBase 10/100 has been not enough bandwidth for my needs. So time to rethink my network setup.

So build my own, or buy a ready made appliance..

Since I got plenty of parts to make 4 more computers... Older ones. This is a very desirable route for me. Minus extra power consumption/ Being I am fond of the BSD based solutions. All I would need to buy is 4 gigabit NiCs that support jumbo frame and full duplex. Plus one switch that support same.

Now I been poking around for routers that offer the ability to install Linux. Seen a few that interested me. None really step out at me. Though my main draw is power consumption. Which this route has the edge on a hand rolled router/firewall.

So - I can go with a BSD router/firewall (pfsence/m0n0wall or such) or poke around and find a store bought router that supports DDWRT or Tomato. Also one uses muh less electricity that the other. So I am still mulling over that also. I need VPN support and some other features not listed here. Like iSCSI.. But not a deal breaker.

Any input, insight or discussion?

Last edited:
Thanks for the input!

I really do not need much in terms of wireless. About the only thing that is wireless in my LAN is my printer. I can use the trusty WRT54GS as as a bridge or repeater if need be for that.

I'd also suggest a computer instead of a pre-built box. You can do so much more with it. You could build/use a low end system now and upgrade the components as needed. Need to upgrade the NIC? Easy, just drop in a card. No need to replace the whole unit. In addition to that, you have a wide variety of good operating systems you can run. Smoothwall, Astaro, etc. These are going to be way better (performance and feature wise) than any small box. Cost is usually a bit more, but I think it is worth it.

Well I am sort of concerned about power draw. :D The small energy draw versus powah! and comfort.

I do have a bit of hardware I can use. 450Mhz / 950Mhz and an AM2 2100le. I got all sorts of hardware to accomplish the hardware aspect. I am familiar with BSD and Linux enough - Where software is not an issue for me. My BSD based server (UFS) is running just fine and does it's job great. If need be, I can easily use a Linux based package for the routing and firewall. Not hard to grab the custom tables and rules I got in place, off the WRT54GS. I am familiar with CLi, so headless does not matter much to me. I do like to disconnect the monitor and HiDs after i do the install. If I cant network install it.

Doing the math, the parts I would need to get, are about equal in cost. The NiCs/one switch versus getting a ready to flash set top unit.

One thing that is important to me. Is magic packets.

I've spent a lot of time trying to find out what to get as a router. I have a 100mbit fiber connection to the internet and gigabit network in the house. After a lot of hair pulling I finally decided to go with a Routerboard RB450G (gigabit wan port, 4 gigabit lan ports, 256MB ram).

It comes with their own OS called Routeros which is based on Linux. Far more capable and flexible (IMO) then dd-wrt (atleast a few years ago when I last tried), but set up can be quite a bit more involved. I find a lot of people are replacing low end cisco stuff with these.

Did not install it yet, I'm still trying to figure out how I will pull two separate wan ip's and route them to different vlans.

Back