• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 930 with dominator ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bhk7594

Ok so I was getting post error codes that pointed to a bad memory controller in the CPU (EVGA FTW3 MOBO) and I talked to intel and it turns out it can only handle ddr3 up to 1066. I am using dominator gt 1600 ram would this cause these memory error codes? or would the cpu automatically underclock the ram and post and start up? :shrug:

the stock chip can handle 1066, the mobo can overclock the chip, which in turn overclocks the memory since the chip has an internal mem controller.

did you run memtest on the memory running it at 1600?

did you get the latest bios for the board as well.. also did you overclock this at all or was this stock setup?

If stock, make sure to go into bios under voltage control and set DIMM voltage to 1.65 (it will probably turn Green), then go into memory options and set the timings to the manufacturer specs for the ram.. it could just be that simple or it could be something else.. i'd start with setting it up properly in the bios though

I cant run memtest the computer wont turn on so same goes for bios

Just completely reset your CMOS (should be a button in the back) and run memtest. You don't need to get into windows to run memtest either (boot from disc), but it will fail if you're settings are messed up (overclocked wrong).

I never overclocked its never turned on this is the first time ive tried to start it up. So would the ram being 1600 which doesnt match up with the 930 be the problem that is giving me error codes?

no, it should work stock no problem. Try resetting your CMOS anyway...hit the button on the back of the mobo

Ok reset CMOS and got into bios turns out ram was underclocked put in right voltage and kabam its perfect I LOVE YOU ALL

Back