• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Infared Thermometer Gun for $20

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drshivas

Sith Lord
Last edited:
Grabbed one few a months back for the same price/deal . Works great , recommend .

I have one of these and they are known to be quite accurate, you can even change the settings for emmissivity for measuring different surfaces: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEMG5

Just thought I'd throw that out there. Since people might come here looking for the temp gun, the towerhobbies temp gauge is usually always $25. It seems to be more accurate based on what I'm reading of reviews of the rosewill. For example, people are reporting +-2 degrees when measuring the same object from the same place. That doesn't happen with the DuraTrax :)

They are intended to be used to check the operating temperature of nitro engines for RC cars, and mine works quite well from around -5F (lowest i've measured with it) to around 300 (the engines run around 270) and I've measured 400s on pans/cooking (once you get one you measure everything). Temp range is -27-428F (-33 to 220C)

I have one of these and they are known to be quite accurate, you can even change the settings for emmissivity for measuring different surfaces: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEMG5

Just thought I'd throw that out there. Since people might come here looking for the temp gun, the towerhobbies temp gauge is usually always $25. It seems to be more accurate based on what I'm reading of reviews of the rosewill. For example, people are reporting +-2 degrees when measuring the same object from the same place. That doesn't happen with the DuraTrax :)

They are intended to be used to check the operating temperature of nitro engines for RC cars, and mine works quite well from around -5F (lowest i've measured with it) to around 300 (the engines run around 270) and I've measured 400s on pans/cooking (once you get one you measure everything). Temp range is -27-428F (-33 to 220C)

I can assure you, even with the adjustment, they are FAR from accurate.

I work with IR every day and even our $70,000 is far from accurate if used improperly.
jamesirly5.jpg

There's just far too much involved to go into detail, it would be an entire thread + on it's own.

:eek: Someone is looking at me!

As with any thermal device, it's all about calibration or learning the devices inaccuracy so that you can compensate for it. If a normal tongue is 98.6 and the meter says 98.1 then you know to consider .5 higher in all measurements gets you closer.

I agree that these "instruments" priced in the tens of dollars aren't very accurate at all, but compared to the user reviews on the rosewill, my personal experience with the duratrax shows more consistency in its readings.

I've been using mine to find cold spots on walls that have lead to nearby leaky windows. Its accurate enough to detect the deltas between a warm wall and a cold wall. Still quite useful and revealing.

:eek: Someone is looking at me!

As with any thermal device, it's all about calibration or learning the devices inaccuracy so that you can compensate for it. If a normal tongue is 98.6 and the meter says 98.1 then you know to consider .5 higher in all measurements gets you closer.

Yes, but bear in mind that emissivity changes with temperature and most spot radiometers do exactly that, they average a spot and report a temperature. Most have an optimal spot size at a distance and i've yet to see one that has a spot size smaller than approximately 1.5". At best you are averaging a spot 1.5" in diameter if you are at the appropriate focal length. Temperature also varies greatly with focal length and emissivity. However, even when you correct for emissivity, anything below ~0.7 is a guess at best, because reflectivity comes in to play too much and these units do not have the proper calibrations for correcting that.

I want to buy one of these so I can measure how HOT my wife is. :)

Back