• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video conversion software.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DreamerBrian

So I have been using Xilisoft Video Converter Ultimate 6 and it has done a wonderful job for me thus far, but I recently attempted to convert some video files that originated as .iso and had some problems. Before conversion the sound was right on time with the video, but afterwards I have consistently has the sound be off from the video by about .75 of a second. Anyone have a guess as to why this is occurring? Advice on better software to use?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

maybe your system is fragmented or a recent codec update is required. You could always try a clean uninstall and reinstall of the software.

So I have been using Xilisoft Video Converter Ultimate 6 and it has done a wonderful job for me thus far, but I recently attempted to convert some video files that originated as .iso and had some problems. Before conversion the sound was right on time with the video, but afterwards I have consistently has the sound be off from the video by about .75 of a second. Anyone have a guess as to why this is occurring? Advice on better software to use?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

I love Handbrake personally, and WinFF is pretty decent although much more command line intensive. What exactly do you convert to and from?

Need a program that can convert multiple multimedia files to high quality or HD(in the case of video) files. Typically the final result is an .avi.

ISO is just a container format (specifically for optical media). It tells us nothing about the actual video/audio streams contained within. AVI is also "just" a container format. It also says nothing about the actual format of the video/audio within as well. These are things that converters tend to gloss over, and thus makes it somewhat hard exactly to figure out what went wrong.

Anyway, Handbrake is a good suggestion.

ISO is just a container format (specifically for optical media). It tells us nothing about the actual video/audio streams contained within. AVI is also "just" a container format. It also says nothing about the actual format of the video/audio within as well. These are things that converters tend to gloss over, and thus makes it somewhat hard exactly to figure out what went wrong.

I understand the concept of the .iso, it's just that no matter what file type the video is coming from the .iso - the sound is always off from the video after I convert it. If I have a file that did not derive from an .iso then the file is fine.

I just extracted a 368mb vob off a dvd. It was 720*480 16x9 ac3 6ch 448. Avidemux converted it to a perfect avi in under ten seconds without having to mess with the audio or the aspect of it whatsoever. That was of course without compression so the size (362mb) was almost the same as the original. It will also do 1-pass or 2-pass to xvid (with compression) which will take much longer. It doesn't do h264 at all.

Last edited:
Back