• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Moving default install folders?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deadlysyn

Folding Team Content Editor, Who Dolk'd my stars S
I have been doing some thinking, since I have installed my SSD a while back. Windows 7 defaults all installers to C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files (x86). I want to move the default to my 300GB mechanical, instead of having to change the location away from my 30GB Vertex, since there isn't a whole lot of space on the drive after the Windows install. Basically, the only things I want installing to my SSD are my games, and everything else to the mechanical. Is there a way to set up something in the registry somewhere to make this change, for both folders? I don't mind manually changing a few that will be installed on the SSD, but everything else I would prefer to have on the mechanical. Anyone have any suggestions?

I noticed that article only mentions moving the Program Files folder, and doesn't make any mention of the Program Files (x86) folder. Is there another registry key I should be looking for? I know that sometimes, installs may put certain files in each folder, or it just installs everything to one or the other.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I am wanting to do this in Win7 Pro x64.

The ProgramFilesDir (x86) String Value name is located directly under the ProgramFilesDir name in the CurrentVersion subkey...

Attachments

• registry.JPG
    registry.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 76
The ProgramFilesDir (x86) String Value name is located directly under the ProgramFilesDir name in the CurrentVersion subkey...

Now I see it. I haven't had the rig on to check it out since sometime last night. I have a few things that still need installing, since I haven't been using the rig as much as I used to, so everything didn't get installed when I set up the Vertex. I will be sure to post back with results.:thup:

Trying that out just seemed to change my shortcut images to look like broken files, or files with no extension. When I tried installing a program, it still defaulted to C:\Program Files. I am a bit confused, since I thought this was supposed to change where the programs installed to.:bang head

After thinking about this some more, in addition to the changed entries under the following key...
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
... they probably need to be changed under this key also:

Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

I also just found this, so check it out before making any registry changes...

Microsoft does not support changing the location of the Program Files folder by modifying the ProgramFilesDir registry value
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933700

Back