• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

*WARNING* Avira Antivir update installs a massive memory leak bug to your PC!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member

EDIT: Thread Summary

The memory leak bug is a result of a product update to version 10.0.0.607 and affects Windows XP only. It does not affect Windows 7 or Vista.

One of the solutions is to install the previous Avira AntiVir Personal version 10.0.0.567 then *ABORT any update process when it automatically pops up!* then

> Configuration (Right middle part of the window) > CHECK: Expert mode (upper left) > Update > Product Update > Do not download product updates. [This option is only for Avira Antivir product updates (Antivirus definitions will still be downloaded automatically.) Product updates should be downloaded manually by going to Update > Start product update... because they may affect the Windows operating system. They should preferably be downloaded only *after* imaging the operating system partition so that if they cause problems you can reimage back to the state before product updates were installed.]

The problem is - only the bug ridden new version is now available on the official web site and so you would have to find the old version elsewhere.

Avira has released an update that is supposed to fix the problem (Avira > Update > Start Product Update) but there are conflicting reports as to whether the update fixes the memory leak on all Windows XP systems.

Staying with v10.0.0.567 and only installing antivirus (and not product) updates is the only sure way to avoid memory leaks on Windows XP.

http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=123713

Attachments

• AviraBomb.jpg
    AviraBomb.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 767
Last edited:
did they ever get back to you on a fix without uninstalling?

I *just* posted this. I was waiting to confirm it but found another person on their forum posting about it - and so that was double confirmation. This bug does not affect Windows 7 - only Windows XP. There is no fix other then to disable product updates on Avira version on which the fiasco update was not yet installed.

Last edited:
ppl still use xp? :chair: :beer:

i would confirm, but alas i see no point to antivirus... i know what im downloading.

That is pretty bad tho that they would have this big ole update that wasnt obviously tested enough to make sure it worked.

i would confirm, but alas i see no point to antivirus... i know what im downloading.

...how about the transparent information that java applets download when you visit websites with java applet information required? That's the entire reason I have antivirus. I don't know what some of those sites are putting into their java code. Do you?

Last edited:
...how about the transparent information that java applets download when you visit websites with java applet information required? That's the entire reason I have antivirus. I don't know what some of those sites are putting into their java code. Do you?

This is how a lot of them get spread around IMO. That's why I browse with noscript for firefox.

what if you look at this from the other side...what if avira is working perfectly fine but windows xp has the bug...and the way to get rid of it is to upgrade to 7? heh.

i stay away from such crazy sites haha.

One screen shot of Microsoft's own official web page below puts to rest any arguments *if* antivirus software is needed, as any web site can be taken over as a portal for malware.

Also, how can you guys be so shortsighted as to assume that everyone has the same computer needs as you? Grandmas and people on fixed income have zero need to upgrade to Windows 7 which can't even be installed on their machines which perfectly satisfy their computer needs and usage making it ludicrous for them to have the upgrade cycles you guys have.

Attachments

• MicrosoftSafeTrustedHack.jpg
    MicrosoftSafeTrustedHack.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 705
C6,

It looks like this occurs only with Avira V10? I still use Avira V9 (free) on an XP Pro machine without issues.

Don't you get nags and warnings about version 9 end of life date etc?

For the longest time, I unchecked automatic program update downloading and only allowed antivirus definitions to be downloaded on friends/families comps and now I am kicking myself for not being as paranoid as I used to be because I used to do that imagining just this scenario of automatic update of *anything* messing their systems up.

There is no excuse however for Avira to still be downloading the Windows XP destroying update fully knowing what it does to Windows XP. Them working on a fix is no explanation for why it is still infecting people's PCs. If it took me since before Thanksgiving here
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661169
to yesterday to figure it out, going back to my old images and being reinfected as soon as I first boot into a fresh image of Windows XP. What chance does an average Joe have reinstalling WinXP time & time again not aware that the program designed to protect him from malware is infecting him with malware.

They are both pretty light weight really. But I read everywhere that Avira has the highest detection rate.

Also, how can you guys be so shortsighted as to assume that everyone has the same computer needs as you? Grandmas and people on fixed income have zero need to upgrade to Windows 7 which can't even be installed on their machines which perfectly satisfy their computer needs and usage making it ludicrous for them to have the upgrade cycles you guys have.

But we were referring to you, c627627, not our grandma(s). Surely it's within your capabilities? For grandmas and their ilk, I prefer MSE. No popups, renewals or dog-and-pony shows (see below).

Do you guys think MSE is more lightweight than Avira/ Is it a comparable product/ Should I ditch Avira for it?

I have MSE installed on 200+ machines in the field now and have had only one bit of adware slip by in the better part of the year. It's the most lightweight product we've used and has had 0 compatibility issues.

Back