• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I am fed up with Black Ops

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cuiiey

Bought Black ops yesterday at a 20percent off sale at my local retailer. For the life of me i cannot get the game ti run smoothly at all.

Current system:
CPU: [email protected]
MOBO: P5E Deluxe (RF 0403 bios)
GFX: Crossfire 6870 1GB XFX

My sig is a little outdated, haven't been bothered to change it. Just wondering, is anyone else getting lag? I've completely turned down my settings and play at 1600x1200 Res. Game looks crap, and is very jittery. Tried modding the config_mp files to no avail. Can any of you guys help me?

Cheers :beer:

I play black ops too. The game runs smoothly for me... the only time it gets jittery is on the kill cam. What are the settings like?

try this. It definitely cleaned a lot of the [lag] up but I still think the game isn't optimized for quads yet.

Q6600 stock 2.4ghz
evga 680i A1
gskill 4gb ddr2 1000mhz
8800gt sli

system is watercooled so no heat issues

Thanks for the replies guys, my gaming computer is hardly on these days, mostly on laptop.

I shall try again with Crossfire disabled and see if i get any improvement. My friends running at i5 750 and GTX460 and gets 60fps, although ive heard that it is more CPU relient. guess my good old E7200 just doesn't cut it anymore :(

I have the settings set to 1600x1200. AA is turned off and details are set to low. My native res is 1920x1080.

Thanks for the youtube link Vballcoach :) i shall take a good look into it when im back on my other computer :)

I run at 2560x1600 on the same videocard at between 50 and 90fps on an old 2.4 Phenom 2 Quad core so you *should* be able to get it to run smoothly.

I know I modified my ini file so that maxpackets was 100 instead of 30, I can't think of any other changes I made though.

I could run the game smoothly on all high settings.. But sometimes very randomly it will freeze and render me unable to do anything except bring up the Task Manager to end it's process, as Alt+Tab, Ctrl+Esc, nor Alt+F4 works.. Doesn't happen often but when it does, it's very unexpected. Temperatures never go pass 60*c on CPU/GPU so I really doubt it's temperature or hardware issue.. Anyone else have the same problem?

my old e6300 @ 2.8ghz + 4gb + 8800gt would play the game. I'd get dips under 30fps, but I could still kill lots and lots of ppl.

I never had brief freezes that other people are describing.

my new i7 970 @ 4.2ghz with 12gb of ram and the same 8800gt runs around 120fps, dipping down to 70ish with the same settings. 1920*1080, no AA, no AF.

not sure if it uses all 6 of my cores, but it does use more than 2 of them.

So I got a new PC to help me out with work. My old PC was an Phenom II 940 @ 3.4 w/4 gigs of RAM. New PC is an i7 950 @ 3.6 w/6 gigs RAM.

Black Ops ran flawlessly on the Phenom, again this upgrade was not gaming related considering the Phenom ran everything great though I did figure a slight FPS increase considering I use my work PC for gaming.

I was shocked to find that Black Ops locks up whenever I try to view the server browser or accept a game invite from a friend. I've tried everything and spent probably 2 hours trying different fixes, verifying game cache over and over, restarting Steam, etc. I've tried to reinstall as well, with no result. I'm incredibly disappointed with PC support for this game, and it will likely be the last Activision game I buy. I never thought a company could make EA's support look good.

And just a quick edit: I was told by the guy I gave my Phenom setup to that i7 systems had severe issues with Black Ops and my research at this point reinforces that. Knowing this definitively before the purchase wouldn't have changed my processor buying decision, but still aggravating.

Last edited:
Bought Black ops yesterday at a 20percent off sale at my local retailer. For the life of me i cannot get the game ti run smoothly at all.

My sig is a little outdated, haven't been bothered to change it. Just wondering, is anyone else getting lag?

Based on your sig, you're likely having throttling. (4.2 and 1.59V on a 45nm?!) (because you're on air cooling)

And just a quick edit: I was told by the guy I gave my Phenom setup to that i7 systems had severe issues with Black Ops and my research at this point reinforces that. Knowing this definitively before the purchase wouldn't have changed my processor buying decision, but still aggravating.

not having any issues at all with my i7 setup. did you compltely reinstall your OS while changing platforms?

Runs pretty laggy for me on multiplayer. I have a good ping too- even if i put all settings to low it lags the same amount. Its a poorly coded game- wait for the next patch i bet it will take care of the lag

don't know what I did but it's running great now. and I don't even change the priorities before going into mp. all I did was enable all 4 cores in bios and at startup and clock my q6600 to 3.0ghz. it runs awesome. I hope you guys get yours figured out.

update: The new Black ops patch has been out for like 2 days, and i am lag free :) cheers trey arch :D problem solved guys :D guess it was poor support :(

Back