• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7-970 @ 4.2ghz, stock cooler, 1.275v

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hUMANbEATbOX

Contributing Member
It's been a while, and I can't be sure anyone will know me as I see so many new faces but I thought I'd share a little bit of the progress I've made today on my new setup.

My last overclock was on a lowly e6300 that I ran at 3.6ghz before slowly bringing down the speeds to 2.8ghz, so this will be a nice step up!

stuff:
i7-970 - batch # 3012b122
P6X58D-E
3x4gb OCZ Gold
stock cooler set to performance
inside a case with fans on quiet

Capture.jpg

i'll let p95 sit till the morning now, then I'll see what else I can get. I'm not sure much as my temps are getting up there. I did run around a bit in windows with no problems at 4.4ghz and 1.325v. So far so good. :santa2: I'll let ya know how it goes when I get up.

well that didn't last long. prime stopped as I was posting.

I think it just didn't like the temps. was humming along just fine till a couple of the cores hit 85c. I'll try again tomorrow with the case fans turned up full blast. don't want the noise while we sleep.

anyone got any suggestions on a new hsf that won't break the bank? noctua? ocz? I've got a scythe ninja, but I'm thinking the stock cooler is about as good as that, plus i'm not sure if the mounting is the same.

*edit* thank you earthdog :)

[H]ardocp has a review up dealing with the Thermalright Archon, link. I'm not suggesting you buy that in fact they say it is overpriced. But the article does include a comparison (performance and cost) of current CPU HS that you might find helpful. :rock:

Check out MuDD's thread in the Classifieds under cooling....He's got some stuff in there...Sick O/C That 970 is mean...

Linkage..

just got word from the wife via txt that the system is still running strong in p95. that's 9 hours now. I'll play a bit more when i get home, but this is promising! stock cooling + 1.275v = 4.2ghz....i am in shock. things have come a long way since my last oc adventure. still figuring things out, only had it a day.

thanks for the links guys, i'll see if i can send mudd some $$ and get crankin'.

I use COOLER MASTER V8 its $60 on newegg now, my temps for i7 920 @ 3.5ghz 1.15vcore 24/7 clock, 25C-30C idle, max while gaming 51C, and max running prime95 62C, great air cooler, its also pretty easy to clean.

p95, 100% stable for over 12 hours today with the settings in thread title.:burn:

no doubt I got very lucky with this cpu.

a couple of coworkers also have them coming in, ill let yall know how those clock too.
one guy won't push his hard I don't think, he's got a 920 at 3.5ghz. the other guy is running decent-ish water, we'll see how well his does.

Back