• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5-750 bottleneck?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Just a nickname

Hey,

I'm thinking at getting a better card, I have great frame drop on black ops and I don't think the card will last long enough... I prefer sell my current on and upgrade for a dual GPU one maybe? I was thinking at the 5970 as the price should drop soon. I am however wondering if the i5 will hold it back...

Also, how much would you sell the 5870? I can O/C up to 950/1300 no voltage adjustment. The model is a XFX non-reference board.

There are a great many people having problems with Black Ops, or just plain Oops "fail" as a lot of people on treyarch forums are coining it. It seems its very much like Crysis as in it's broken at release, I would wait for the 1st patch will no doubt be a biggey to fix a lot of the problems. My friends who have an Nvidia based card don't seem to have a problem with frame rate at all, I on the other hand having an ASUS 5870 get graphic jitters every 5 seconds or so (thank god there are no smoke/lag grenades in zombies). So i would guess the game has been made with a specific set tools (OpenGL vs DirectDraw my friend says)

There also many reports on the forums of people running into problems on i7 systems, also many game reviewers both magazine and internet based have commented on the graphics lag issues.

So you may want to wait it out until 1st patch.

I see... But black ops is just another reason why I want to change the graphic card ;[
I can't even play with voltages (what a shame). That really bother me...

The performance aren't really bad, I still got avg 50 fps (max out at 60Hz as it is the freq of the screen). I have some drop under 30 Fps and thats the problem however...

A 5870 should pound on BO guys...

Justa - Are you running with Vsync enabled? Disable it if you are seeing those drops. With Vsync enabled, if you cant make 60fps (your refresh rate) it will drop to the next lowest multiple, like 45/30, etc. If you disable it, that may make fo rless violent FPS swings. If you dont have it enabled, then Im unsure as to why you mentioned the refresh rate in reference to FPS as they really have nothing to do with each other. I am consistently over 60FPS on BFBC2 with out vsync on my 60Hz monitor.

What res monitor are you working on?

I dont have the game (yet), but its quite common to see significant drops in gaming....

Yea but the game is really not looking good... I am worried that only after 1-2 years it won't handle new game at my settings =S

Most cards wont last that long anyway. Im kind of on a higher end, midrange, higher end type cycle.

Alright, but just to answer the title question ;)
Is the i5-750 bottlenecking (can yo usay that?) at 4Ghz an EVENTUAL 5970 or any better graphic card?
It's just that I might take a card as soon as I have huge rebates (5970 at 400$?) :drool:

At 1920x1080 likely not or not bad. With any solid SLI/Crossfire setup the more Mhz the better off you are.

I'm running 1920x1200 on a VA panel with an ASUS 5870 and it not until I got BlackOps did my graphics also have this huge loss in FPS and general twitchy/jerky feeling to them. On BlackOps it is a well documented "game is broke" so I wouldn't make ANY buying decisions based on the performance of this game on your hardware until Treyarch bring out patch 1.0.

My system although due for a major overhaul has coped with every recent game but BlackOps.

C2D E6600 (2.4GHZ) @ 3.5GHZ 24/7 (lapped on air)
4GB Hyper X
5870 1GB
Raptor (boot/game)

There are people on the Treyarch forums who are running 4Ghz i7 setups with 6&12GB Ram and ATI crossfire setups. They have reported just really bad frame rates.

The game seems to be heavily optimised for Nvidia GPU's.

If black ops is multi threaded, which Im not sure, that older dual core may be some of the issue.

As far as Crossfire and SLI, there may be micorstutter or not optimized profiles out yet so you really shouldnt include that data...Ram has nothing to do with it either 4GB and up.

If black ops is multi threaded, which Im not sure, that older dual core may be some of the issue.

As far as Crossfire and SLI, there may be micorstutter or not optimized profiles out yet so you really shouldnt include that data...Ram has nothing to do with it either 4GB and up.

+1

I heard Black ops war using up to 10 threads, rumor probably. I just got that on the forum while reading random post (disclamer :D ).

But I'll probably have to wait until the new patch release, I'm not expecting any price drop soon anyway.
BTW, I really want to change my card because of the no voltage regulator. Kinda annoying.

Just a side note, when I posted my result, I was still at stock speed, forgot to click "apply" on MSI. Now it tops at nearly 100 FPS but it doesn't help much for huge FPS drop... W/e I know what I have to do; wait :(

Also, I am unstable at 950/1300 on this game but I am stable on other game... 945/1300 is stable but why is it different with this game now? I had a fantastic rounded number =(

Just been reading somewhere that crossfire/sli is enabled by default and single core only is enabled by default in the config, just swapped mine over and although I cannot really tell any difference it must help some what,

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\call of duty black ops\players

config
config_mp

Config defaults:
seta r_multiGpu "1" default (keep as 1 if you have crossfire/sli)
seta r_multithreaded_device "0" default (only use 1 CPU core)

might want to change them too

seta r_multiGpu "0" (1 gpu mode)
seta r_multithreaded_device "1" (Make use of multithreads/cores)

Last edited:
Back