• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Crosshair iV & SSD question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Clutch Cargo

Well, I am about to press the "purchase" button. Haven't built a system in several years so I spent the last several months researching (and catching up on technology), and this is what I have come up with:

Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
CPU: AMD Phenom II Black Edition 6-core 1090T
Videocard: AMD Radion 6970 (when its released next week?)
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 7-8-7-24 F3-12800CL7D-8GBRH
Harddisks
(2) Western Digital VelociRaptor 600GB SATA6
(2) Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB SATA3
PSU: KINGWIN Mach 1 ABT-1000MA1S 1000W
Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

but at the last minute I am thinking of adding a SSD:

Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC256MAG-1G1 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

My understanding is the SSD can be updated to SATA6 but the WD 300GB VelociRapters are SATA3. Do all hard drives have to be SATA6 to achieve those R/W speeds or will my WD SATA3's slow the whole board down to a SATA3 level (hope I am making sense here).

Does the build look like it will all work together? Any feedback on the new build most appreciated.

Clutch

Ditch the Raptors. SSD will kill them 11 times out of 10. Go with a sandforce II based SSD. Any of the OCZ Vertex II are great. make sure of the vertex II, not Vertex. Also there is really NOTHING that is fast enough to be limited by sata II, so sata III is basically just a future proofing maneuver. I use my sata II Vertex II and am nothing short of astounded. (First SSD)

Also the CPU will NOT disappoint. Whether you want to overclock or not. I bumped mine to 3.7Ghz on stock cooling and without touching voltage.

Last edited:
Also there is really NOTHING that is fast enough to be limited by sata II, so sata III is basically just a future proofing maneuver.
Not true. SSD's actually do saturate the bandwidth supported by SATAII, and there are performance boosts gained by the SATAIII SSD's (Corsiar RealSSD C300).

A smaller SSD for quick boots is OK but if you desire large storage capacity you don't want SSD's unless you have deep pockets. The Kingwin 1000W PSU is considerable overkill unless you're planning to Crossfire some 8xxx cards or something down the road? Not sure about the reliability or warranty on the Kingwin either?

Back