• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I want a dead quite box.. anything on the market for that?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

evermore

Registered
I've had it with the noise my machine makes, and that's with using a crappy globalwin copper cooler that has a fan that "only" spins at 5500rpm. So what do I do? I've looked at some of the watercooled systems and the ones I have seen so far all include fans... so what's the point? So here's the challenge: where do I go to buy a case that makes no noise but isnt some juryrigged contraption that's liable to kill my system sooner than later.

My system is a 1.33GHz T-Bird on an Epox 8K7a, a GF3, and 2 hard drives.

The best solution I can think of is to watercool, and have your pump and radiator in another room. The distances involved will probably mean a quite powerful pump. As long as you keep the room's ambient temperature fairly low, you can probably forego most case cooling. You still will have a little noise from your PSU fan and video cooling fan.

well, as I said, I was hoping for a non-juryrigged system.. the koolance midtower seems tempting if it is as quiet as I've been reading in the reviews...

use watercooled setup.. 7 volt mod your fans and use 120mms and a submersible pump...

then put cork padding on your panels as noise killer...

should be pretty darn quiet...

h2o isnt for the faint of heart. ill attest to that on my first day i had my head stuck in the case every 5 minutes. checking leaks and stuff. but alas its safe.

if you dont feel comfy with it id sujjest a koolance but even that has 4-5 fans 3 on top,1 in back(highly recomended) and mabey one in front. water cooling in most designs isnt much queiter than air cooling.mines loud matter of fact.

quietest? id go with a bong watercooling setup. but space is a factor there also. i would suggest looking into watercooling alteranatives. not sure where to steer ya tho

Don't be frightened with the word "fan" you read at the watercolling setups... the point is:

All the fans you put in a watercooled setup will do much less noise than a 60mm 5500 rpm fan...

my system works even without the 120mm fan turned on !
I can hear the HDs seeks again !!

a low rpm, 7v feeded 120mm fan will do almost no noise... you can even put a 80mm fan to cool your case and you will still hear your HD higher than it... just don't choose high speed fans and your Watercooling will not be loud.

and the pump noise is almost inaudible...

by the way, without the fans turned on, the silence is complete but my system went to 55C... bad huh ? but it's is the same temp I usually did with my old Air cooled setup !!! but without ANY noise

look my sig...

yeh i think im breaking down and doing the 7v mod.evermore i do here everyone say mine will be quiet after i do this. i also have great airflow in my case. so if this turns out to work for me ill be quiet also with great case temps.fear of higher case temps has stoped me from this. ill post back after i do this. getten my wire cutters and tape out as we speak :eek:

btw my 27c idle temp is soooooo sweet i been holding the 7v mod off as not to loose this. alas my rad is samwiched between 2-120mm sunans. its fan,case,rad,fan. so basically i put a rad over a 120 blowhole on top and stuck a 120 on top of that pulling.thats my noise.

in my old air setup i had:

1 delta (arrggghhh!!! a hair-dryer)
1 92mm sunon high speed
4 80mm
1 60mm

now I have only the 120mm of the radiator and one 92mm for the case...

low noise... and they are at 12v

i'm not counting the 80mm of the psu, the geforce fan, and the chipset fan... but they are quiet...

wow what a differance that made! the 7v mod is what i did
http://www.overclockershideout.com/7voltmod.shtml
is all the info u need to do it.
and id guess my noise just dropped by 2/3"s! thats alot really.temps all posting the same also.

here is what im using.
60 mm case fan in front-in
60 mm case fan in back-in
60 mm case fan on a bracket sitting on case bottom. just blowing top of my video card.
psu 60 mm out
2-120 sunans on my rad 7v mod-out
plus a couple chipset coolers.
thats 8 fans toatal. and i swear its actaully queit. not silent but i can hear converstions down stairs. heck before i was lucky enough to hear a phone ring. thats no lie.

You could try a case like www.kricomputer.com/shop/?page=shop/pg_pic_left&product_id=110&category_id=ede91dc6e96100c2bd821e76cda26156 , it's the only one I've seen that can take 120mm fans without modding. i would remove the perforated grilles though, and run the 2 fans at 7 volts. A panaflo L1A at 7 volts is quieter than a hardrive, that's why so many people use the large fans...a slow large one can often give the same airflow as a small fast one.

You can also put a duct on the one in the rear right to your HSF, maybe even having enough airflow to remove the present loud fan. Adding an air filter to the front fan will also deaden the noise slightly more. Cork or thin foam case liners can help too.

There is also a manufacturer that makes whiper quiet power supplies too, but I don't know a link to them off hand.

Hope these help, you can watercool too, but that's another post...:beer:

lol, I only have my GPU fan, a 60mm on a thermaltake Volcano6, and an old 120mm fan I pulled at work, and with the fan facing away from me it's just a quiet hum.

An idea,,, try getting a 120mm-60mm duct, then adding the 120mm into your case, removing the 60 all together.

Then, add a filter box on the outside, basicly a bix box with, what else, filters for walls, and that will dampen noise, dust, and also possibly force more air into your HS.

Hope it helps!!

I was hoping to get an off the shelf solution (I don't have much time) but Koolance seems the only option in that respect, and from some of the reviews I've read, they arent exactly quiet. A bong setup seems like the solution for a system but then I would have to build a watercooled system from the ground up, the one thing I did not want to do....

well in that situation, i would suggest koolance.....

but the cheap rout is make your blocks and find a heatercore and a pump

my total is around
19.95-pump
2bucks -copper plate
.50-pop can
7bucks-relay
hold down/hoses/connectors-around 10bucks

around 40 bucks! pretty cheap! cheaper than a swify 462!
and better if i put my rad outside of my case....
im gonna re-arange or just get a bongcooler so i have room in the case, rite now luckly i dont have any pci cards installed or they probably wouldnt fit, because of my stupid mid tower and rez

If you don't want to build your own system (and have fun in doing this !) sell your Athlon and buy a crap P4, who doesn't even needs a powerful fan...

seriously... even if you buy an "off-the-shelves" solution... they are intendend to extreme cooling not low noise only...
you will need to do the 7v mod and remove some fans of these ready systems like koolance, at least...

swiftech also sells watercooled complete cases... buy one, remove some fans, do the 7v mod (it is very simple) and DON'T try to overclock your athlon too much...

the noise is very low....

by the way, I did the 7v mod here and the temp raised only 2-3 C
and the system is much more quiet!

know if you install a uct from the case side to the heatsink fan temps will be very good and you can use a quiet heatsink fan at 30cfm.

Install 2 intake and 2 exhaust fans and you will hear the hard drive spin up easy.

See Sig I am ducted and MAX Load temp is 41c.I have 32dba 30cfm heat sink fans

I find that the loudest fans are actually the CPU fan and the power supply fan.. can't really do the 7V mod on those can I.... =/

I added some dyno-mat to the inside doors, top and bottom of my case and the noise is wayyy down.

The rear inside I coated with some rubberized undercoating, both of these can be had at any auto parts store or even K-Mart.

It was cheap and effective without any cooling loss.
I am running two 10,000rpm scsi drives and a total of 15 fans in my system.
The differance is night and day.
Sounds stupid compared to what else is posted in this thread but hey, it worked!
®

You can get quiet power supplies...the Enermax whisper comes to mind. You can also search google.com for quiet power supplies.

You can do the 7 volt mod on the power supply fan, you can also add a rheostat to it's negative wire to pick what speed it runs, but you said minimum modding was a requirement.;)

my psu fan is the quieter of all...

. the 7v mod is less than minimal mod... all you have to do is wire at the yellow and red wires... that site explaining the 7v mod is confused... making it more complex than what it actually is...

Robstyle, its a great idea to insulate the inner side with acoustic material, but this leads to increase the heat inside the case...

we need to deal with the balance: extreme cooling x acceptable noise...

and for a dead quiet box, off the shelf, like the author of the article wants... I think he needs a watercool ready made system, but If I was him, I will do the 7v mod on the fans and even remove some fans... thats minimal modding...

Heres a qwick design w/o details right off the top..

Watercool,
submersible pump (put resivior in your case),
120mm panaflow on rad,
panaflows for intake and ehaust (if needed)
dynamat the whole enitre case inside,
enermax whisper power supply,
dvd cdrom,
and seagate barracuda harddrives (fluid motors)
and if your northbridge has a fan remove it and use a small panaflow or HUGE passive heatsink same goes w/ video card

add some thought and other odds and ends your rig should be dead silent... (i want to travel this route one day) goodluck! ;)

Back