• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I can't get my OC back

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chuckerants

So I removed the GTX260 from my i7 rig to sell and replaced it with the GTX 460 that was in my HTPC to keep Folding.

When I started the rig after doing the swap, I can't get the i7 to OC again. The MoBo has the OC for 3.8 ghz and 4.0 ghz saved and neither will even POST.

WTH?

Why does it seem like every time I install something or fiddle with a piece of HW, something gets mucked up like this???

Now I'm just Folding with the GTX460 until I have time to figure this out. Grrr. :mad:

The GTX460 actually requires LESS power than the outgoing GTX260. You can see what I have in my sig, but my PSU can run both the GPUs as I've done it before.

'preciate the input though.

The 260 and 460 have very similar power draws. If anything the 460 might draw less, so its unlikely to be a ps issue. I guess it's easy to figure what it's not, but not particularly helpful. One way to test the theory though is put the 260 back in and see if the OC returns. Maybe the 460 draws more power at the OC you've got on it than the 260 did.

I had something similar happen today. I added a 9800GTX to my office rig, pretty straightforward, put it in add the PCI-E power connectors and turn the machine back on. Post, but booted from the wrong hard drive. Why in the world did the boot order change in bios?

I sold and shipped the GTX260 already.

When I got the 460 a month or so ago, I was running both the GPUs and Folding with the CPU @ 4.0 ghz and the GPUs all in the i7 rig so I don't think it's the PSU - I hope.

The i7 is now running at stock speed for now and I won't have the time to experiment until Christmas.

If the 260 was in the primary spot and the 460 was the 2nd (no monitor)
GPU when it worked . Then that indicates the 460 as the issue. More specifically do you have the latest Bios? The Fermi's and some Mobos(like my foxconn) have issues with large amounts of memory and the "Fermi" Gpu.

A bios update fixed mine.

I have BIOS F11 and the newest is F12i, a Beta BIOS. You think it's worth giving that a try?

FYI - I installed the 460 in the same slot the 260 was in.

I have BIOS F11 and the newest is F12i, a Beta BIOS. You think it's worth giving that a try?

If the F11 has been out before the "Fermis" I would try the Beta, If its new.. say the last 5 months I would stick with what you have and look for another solution.

Silly question, but did your power come unplugged or loose(8pin or dual 4pin next to cpu socket) I know on one of the i7's I've built I forgot to do that and I had no video but the computer worked and went through the loading process(I heard the spinning of the hd and seeking).

The above might have different effects on your particular motherboard.

Just a thought

I don't think so Gixxer.

Everything seems to run fine, EXCEPT that I can't get it to OC. The rig is running at OEM speed for now.

I'll be trying the new Beta BIOS as soon as I can get to it.

I upgraded to the new BIOS and because they changed the BIOS menus, I'm completely lost. I tried to get the OC back to where it was before, but no go.

I also found that the USB plugs on the front panel was causing random reboots when I plugged anything in, so I replaced the front panel assembly with a new one from Antec. That fixed the USB causing a reboot, but still no go on the OC.

I'm going back to the BIOS I'm familiar with.

Back