• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6970 Performance Slide Leaked

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

don'tknow

Supposedly.

Funny thing is, Fuad's 'source' got a hold of it and photoshopped it, then sent it to him like this and he wrote an article about it on fudzilla.

15mz711.png

Then someone at Beyond3D forums found the slide and noticed where the columns were cut and the lines were redone, but the color wasn't perfectly matched:

fakeenhanced.png

So he made an update to the article and apologized.

But based on those numbers it looks like 6970 is 10 - 30% faster than GTX480, depending on the game. So it seems to be -10% to +10% within GTX580 performance. Still very early drivers on a completely new architecture though.

Apparently it's just a shopped 6870 vs GTX 460 slide.

It's still completely up in arms at the moment, got to admit ATI is a master of misinformation with the amount of differentiating rumours out there.

Yes, he's also stating that 6970 will have 1536 SP's and 6950 will be 1408, among other things that just don't add up. I don't even see the point in having such a small difference in performance between the xx50 and xx70 series... never seen it that small before.

But that's why it's just 'supposedly' the chart. Based on the math regarding the architecture changes, those results aren't too far from what it would be, so I'm guessing once the real results come he might be like "oh, they made some driver updates since that slide, so the numbers are slightly different now".

It looks like they photoshopped the scores down. I think I'll just wait until real results are released. I've seen a few of these "Early 6970" threads and (no offense to the authors of them) the information is just not quite as solid as I would hope.

Just wish the dang cards came out already. In the processes of selling my 5850 and using my 7900gt to hold me off till they come out. Its either gtx 570 or the HD 6950. Just want to see the numbers before i make the choice.

I've heard people (who are under NDA) discussing what they can of the new cards and their comments are along the lines of: "Just wait a few more weeks. This is going to be an interesting Christmas season for the GPU market"... so I tend to think that this should be on par with the GTX580 (or at least be much cheaper).

Well, right now there's crippled cards being benchmarked with no actual driver support. AMD has given some 'crippled' (6970's with only the amount of SP's as a 6950 enabled) cards to most of those sources doing the benchmarks (to catch leakers without exposing real results), and real cards to their most trusted review sites. So there's many different numbers going around now, most of them being on the low end.

There's also the factor of the new power management on the cards not working properly with current drivers, they need the 10.12's for full support of that feature which will let them run at their max TDP.

A lot of people are raging at the current results being posted on most forums, since they look kind of crappy (barely near GTX570 levels), but not taking into account that the full cards aren't even enabled and the drivers don't even support them yet.

People just don't want to use their brain. A card with at least 15% bigger die size than Cypress, with the same shader power as Barts except on 4D shaders (10% smaller) with much higher shader count, along with a pretty good number of significant architecture improvements on top of that.... being only slightly better than the 5870? Lol.... really? Why would AMD even bother making such a big architecture change and spend so much money into releasing such a card then.

AMD... the ultimate trolls.

Now I have a pretty good guess of performance, and why we're seeing so many fake results.

Edited: umm <insert random reason here, too lazy to explain>

Edit2: I love watching all those "bios controlled" results pop up on various sites. Once 15 hits.... I will just say.... we all got sooooooo trolled.

A hint: yes, there is something missing. Yes, as I suspected before, the early results going around right now aren't the real performance.

Last edited:
Found an interesting result, closer to the real performance. http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/view_message/35199174

That's done by someone with the cards and with the full 10.12's. So I'm a lot more inclined to believe it, over most of the other results which are without proper drivers.

I don't want to get into any details, but since it raises questions about 'how' I know what kind of performance increase proper drivers would give and why this is different from any previous-gen 'early benches'... as I've already hinted in a few threads; there is something controlled by the drivers which affects performance by a significant amount, and no amount of 'driver optimizations' can make up for it. It has to do with a new method that Cayman uses to manage power draw.

If those results are real though (and I'm pretty sure they're at least very close to the real numbers), that puts 6970 about 25% above 570 at high resolutions.

Back