• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alternatives to BIOS/AMDOD for Mobile OCing? (AMD N930)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jrg

Registered
Before everyone flames me about laptop overclocking/heating/bricking etc, please know that I know the consequences fully. Also, this particular case there is thermal leeway for overclocking this mobile AMD processor (it runs 15~20 C cooler than intel i5 counterparts).

Anyway, hello OCF, new here. I figure you guys would have more expertise than most in methods and tricks in overclocking AMD processors, so I joined today.

My case is this laptop: Acer AS5553G. It has an AMD Phenom-II x4 N930 at 2.0 GHz stock, coupled with an ATI HD 5650 GPU. The problem is that the CPU bottlenecks the GPU a lot in most games which require some CPU power, and that is not nice at all, since the order of bottlenecking is reversed!!!

The CPU never goes past 70 C even through an hour or two of intense gaming sessions, which is almost unheard of in gaming computers. I guess the bottlenecking is the trade off.

So onto the main issue: since it's OEM, BIOS is locked (I actually had a very generous individual who unlocked all hidden options in 5553G BIOS and gave it to me, but it didn't have any CPU-enhancing options).

The chipset of my laptop is "AMD M785 (RS880M) + Hudson-1 (SB810/SB850)", and it's an identical chipset to the HP dv6-3050US (the entire specs of the two laptops are near-identical), the (outcome mysterious) overclocking issues of which were discussed here.

The AMD OverDrive does not work, HT ref clock is grayed out at 200 MHz. Multipliers are already maxed out at x10. There are some RAM timings which are open for tweaking but that's won't change a thing when HT ref clock is unadjustable. I've talked to quite a few HP 3050US owners and they have the same experience with AMDOD.

So here I am, the above is the explained current state of the endeavor, and it'd be very appreciated if you guys here can help us find alternative way(s), or possible work-arounds, of overclocking this CPU.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
You might look up a program called ClockGen, though I suspect it's too old to recognize your chipset. Worth a try, though ...

Thanks for the response, however I've already tried this, and it did not recognize my chipset.

Also, do you happen to know if CPU clocks are generated from the southbridge instead of an external clock gen, can still be overclocked? I was told that this particular model's mobo schematic seems to indicate that its internal clocks are all from SB.

Basically I read the document for the SB820M (the southbridge for my laptop), and it states that if the clockgen is integrated, then the SB produces all the clocks for pretty much everything in the laptop, rather than the discrete clockgen found in most laptops. And that "overclocking is not applicable with integrated SB820M".

And in the mainboard schematic diagram I found here, it does indeed look like there is no discrete clockgen and that all the clocks are derived from the SB....

Back