• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new to overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

scarface

hey. i am new to ocing and i was wondering what are some good, cheap fans. my system is:
ABit A7V KT133
Athlon 1.4GHz
leadtek geforce3 ti200 TDH
384MB PC133
30GB BIM Deskstar
i know this is off subject but Im also wondering what is the best os for this system. thanks:D

hey scarface, welcome to the forums.

what kinda fans you talking about? case fans? fans for your heat sink? (in other words, what do you think is too hot, the case or the processor?)

and the best os? hmmm... i've had the best experience so far with win2k (by a long shot). but i think it would have to do with what you want to use the system for. there are certain programs that just wont run in win2k, so it may not be the best for those cases.

keep us posted, and good luck!

Welcome to the forums!

If its a case fan, any ball bearing fan will do fine. For your cpu, im using a thermalright and cant complain about it. As far as the best OS for your system.... it's whatever you feel comfy with. I find XP Pro to be real stable. No matter what I do, I cant seem to crash this sucker! :D

if you are not talking only about the fans alone...

besides using a good cooler for your cpu you will have to keep good air flow inside your case too...

a good setup will vary from case to case but before I jump to watercooling I had a wbk38 from globalwin on the cpu, a dual 80mm fan blowing in air from the front of the case with duct and a 92mm fan blowing out to the back, and kept the case closed.

with this setup and raising the voltage of the cpu to 1.85 I could do the following solid as rock:

duron 800 @ 1000 mhz (both 10x100 and 8.5x133)
tbird 1400 @ 1480 mhz (only... thats why I jumped to water..)

but the wbk38 is a all aluminum old cooler... you can try the swiftech mcx462 who is, in my opinion, the best air cooler... not cheap... but you could have better results than my old wbk38.

as for the os, go with XP...

thanks guys. to answer the questions i want to cool the heatsinks and the case and the system will be used for gaming mostly.

Back