Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Laptops/Netbooks/SFF/Smartphones
Laptops/Netbooks/SFF/Smartphones For all your tiny computing needs.
Forum Jump

Headphone port not working on laptop.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 12-11-10, 10:01 AM Thread Starter   #1
gravitywell

10 Year Badge

Headphone port not working on laptop.

I have an Asus G50vt I got from Best Buy almost two years ago.

Its still an awesome machine, and I'd like to not replace it yet if I dont have to.

So here's the story. WoW Cataclysm came out, and I've been playing it off and on since it did. Yesterday, I had the day off and was playing pretty much all day. I religiously use my headphones because I have two other people in the house and I know how obnoxious video games sounds are if you're not the one playing them. So my girl called me, and I took the headphones off, and sat them on the couch. I talked to her for a few minutes, took a restroom break and ventured into the kitchen. When I came back, the headphones didn't work anymore. I checked settings and reinstalled drivers and tried the headphones on two other devices (they worked on my home theater and my winphone7.)

Sound works when I unplug the headphones via the speakers, but as soon as I plug in the headphones, I get nothing. I used compressed air to clean out the ports, I checked settings and the driver suite for my Realtek audio detects I'm plugging something into the headphone jack, but the audio isn't coming out. Occassionally I can hear extremely quite garbled sounds, but that's maybe once every ten minutes.

Is there anything I can do? Or am I cursed to game without sound for a little while?

G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB
MSI GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB TWIN FROZR
NZXT H440
Corsair HX750
Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition
gravitywell is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-11-10, 12:26 PM   #2
BigTerminator

Well looks like the head phone port flopped. Have you tried any other headphones or external speakers on the port? If you don't want to replace your Laptop or any internals than I suggest to get a external sound card either by USB or express card slot. IF not then you'll have to get the port it self replaced. http://us.store.creative.com/Sound-B...B001BS3A3E.htm or this http://us.store.creative.com/Sound-B...B002651ZNI.htm. Get some cheapo USB sound card or a Headset with it's on sound card and you should be good to go.

Cooler Master HAF X With Window | Corsair TX 750 watt PSU | 2x500gb Samsung F3 RAID 0
Asus Essence ST | 3D Mark 11 High Scores = Performance 9000

My Laptop: Lenovo Y580
Intel Core i7 3630qm @ 2.4ghz | 8gb DDR3 1600mhz | 120gb ADATA SSD | 1tb HDD
Nvidia GTX 660m @ 1260/1400mhz | 15.6" 1080p
Arctic MX-4 Thermal Paste | Rosewill Notebook Cooler | 3d Mark 11 High Scores = Performance 3400 Extreme 1100
BigTerminator is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-11-10, 12:31 PM   #3
thideras
Destroyer of Empires and User Accounts, El Huginator
Premium Member #3
First Responders

Audio ports don't just stop working randomly, something caused it.

Most likely, you have a software issue. The other option is the ribbon cable came unplugged within the computer. You'd have to take it apart to check that and will probably void whatever is left of your warranty.

EDIT: Also, do you have another source to check your headset on?

8x 300 GB Savvio | XenServer
Router: Dell R410 | E5620 | 32 GB RAM | 3x 300 GB | pfsense
"That's not overkill, or a lot. That's just thiderastic." -txus.palacios
"Clouds are silent, cold, and wet. Servers are none of these things." -Bobnova

Current project: Rackmount Overkill (New) | Little Overkill (New)
Articles: Rack Mounting 101 | Dell Perc 5/i Throughput Benchmarks
My Website

Want to talk directly to all the moderators at once? Call the Mod Hotline!
thideras is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-12-10, 07:27 PM Thread Starter   #4
gravitywell

10 Year Badge

The primary headphones indeed work in my Windows Phone 7 and my iPod touch.

A second pair of known working earbuds do not work in the headphone port on the laptop. I did notice that with the earbuds I hear a very quiet faint garbled sound. It's nothing recognizable as far as what else should be heard.

I've again uninstalled the drivers, downloaded the newest drivers posted on Asus' website (Certified in 2009.) for the sound card. They still don't work. I also deleted the drivers and let windows install its default drivers, I get the same exact effect. Sound on speakers, no sound on headphones.

G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB
MSI GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB TWIN FROZR
NZXT H440
Corsair HX750
Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition
gravitywell is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-12-10, 10:22 PM   #5
jediobi1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitywell View Post
The primary headphones indeed work in my Windows Phone 7 and my iPod touch.

A second pair of known working earbuds do not work in the headphone port on the laptop. I did notice that with the earbuds I hear a very quiet faint garbled sound. It's nothing recognizable as far as what else should be heard.

I've again uninstalled the drivers, downloaded the newest drivers posted on Asus' website (Certified in 2009.) for the sound card. They still don't work. I also deleted the drivers and let windows install its default drivers, I get the same exact effect. Sound on speakers, no sound on headphones.
have you tried going into the control panel and going to sound and checking the settings for the headphones?

Videocard: ATI Radeon 4850
Case: Antec 900
Mouse: Logitech G5
Keyboard: Zboard Gaming Keyboard

My Heatware
jediobi1 is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Laptops/Netbooks/SFF/Smartphones
Laptops/Netbooks/SFF/Smartphones For all your tiny computing needs.