Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.
Forum Jump

Can someone help review this build

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread
 
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-12-10, 07:05 PM Thread Starter   #1
Accuracy158
New Member



Join Date: Dec 2010

 
Can someone help review this build


Here are my components; (I wasn't planning for any water cooling if that is OK... I'm pretty new to this so any comments are welcome)

Case Antec 900 or 300 illusion

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...MP337FHEC6N6QD

or...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129066

Mobo ASUS P7P55D-E Pro LGA

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131621

CPU i5 760

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115067

GPU (single for now) 1gb gtx 460

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125352

Hard drive (single for now) 1 sata 6GB 7200 rpm

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136544

RAM 2x sticks

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145260

Wireless adapter

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833320048

Disk Drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827135204

Windows Window 7 OEM system builders

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116754

I want a little room for upgrade and small amounts of overclocking but that's pretty much all I'm looking at now (of course I'll have a keyboard, mouse, and USB headset attached).

Is the 700W OCZ a good choice for me?... Which case do you think I should go with?

I'm without a PC now so I'm wondering if this build is ready to order.

Thanks guys
Accuracy158 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-12-10, 08:10 PM   #2
Theocnoob
Hates Trashcans
LOVES GRAMMER

 
Theocnoob's Avatar 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Near Toronto Canada

 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-506-_-Product

Change GPU to this. () that much $ for ( ) that much performance boost. In MOST cases. Not all GPU's handle all situations the same way. ie- one GPU does THIS game better and they trade places for THAT game.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-482-_-Product

I'd consider this MOBO. Up to you. $10. Nicer looking heatsinks. ROG. Looks nifty. I have the 1366 one.

Definitely grab the 6870 though because it's significantly better in most cases. Also color matches the Maximus mobo.

You need an aftermarket cooler. Otherwise you're buying a higher grade mobo for no reason.

So something like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-014-_-Product

That PSU is fine. I like corsair PSU's. They're rebranded seasonics. This is only because they've never screwed me. I also like Western Digital for that reason.

And read the i5 overclocking guide. You'll want to overclock the CPU. It makes a huge difference. Also depending on your budget I'd consider an i7... and the 1366 socket for that matter.

I'm much more paranoid about my own purchases than this. But will it work? Absolutely. Do the components match? Yes. 900 or 300? Up to you. Review them at Antec's website, or check online reviews (3Dgamerman on youtube does awesome case reviews).

A simpler answer to your initial question is yes, the system you put together would work nicely.

__________________
2600K @4.8Ghz*Maximus IV Extreme*GTX 580
2x4GB Gskill 1600Mhz*Intel510 120GB SSD
WD Velociraptor 150GB HDD*HX850*NH-D14

Last edited by Theocnoob; 12-12-10 at 08:33 PM.
Theocnoob is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-12-10, 08:17 PM   #3
mokrunka

 
mokrunka's Avatar 

Join Date: Dec 2009

 
Your build seems thorough, and it is certainly compatible.

With hard drive prices as low as they are, I would just go for maybe this only another $10 and you get more than double the storage! If you don't like Seagate, I'm sure you could find a similar deal on WD. I am guessing that you intend to by 2 four Gb sets for your RAM, so that is also a good idea. A 700W PSU would be plenty, if you want to reassure yourself, you could go to this site and plug in the numbers.

__________________
Case: Mountain Mods U2-UFO
PSU: Silverstone Strider Gold 1200W
Mobo: ASUS P9X79
CPU: Intel Core i7 3820 @ 3.8 GHz
Memory: 32 Gb DDR3 2400 RAM, G.Skill Rip Jaws Z Series, 1.5v
Video: GTX 690 4Gb
Storage: LSI MegaRAID 9260-8i, 4X 240Gb Kingston HyperX SSD, RAID 0, 2X Samsung 5400RPM 2Tb, RAID 0, 2X Samsung 5400RPM 2Tb, RAID 1
mokrunka is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-12-10, 09:00 PM Thread Starter   #4
Accuracy158
New Member



Join Date: Dec 2010

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokrunka View Post
Your build seems thorough, and it is certainly compatible.

With hard drive prices as low as they are, I would just go for maybe this only another $10 and you get more than double the storage! If you don't like Seagate, I'm sure you could find a similar deal on WD. I am guessing that you intend to by 2 four Gb sets for your RAM, so that is also a good idea. A 700W PSU would be plenty, if you want to reassure yourself, you could go to this site and plug in the numbers.
Yes if anything the 700W is more than I would ever need.

I don't really want to go over 1000 dollar with this build but I was looking at the ROG board. I wasn't really going to get an after market cooler until I started overclock further down the road.

Last edited by Accuracy158; 12-12-10 at 10:05 PM.
Accuracy158 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-12-10, 09:54 PM   #5
Theocnoob
Hates Trashcans
LOVES GRAMMER

 
Theocnoob's Avatar 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Near Toronto Canada

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accuracy158 View Post
Yes if anything the 700W is more than I would ever need.

I don't really want to go over 1000 with this build but I was looking at the ROG board. I wasn't really going to get an after market cooler until I started overclock further down the road.
Overclocking really isn't that hard. If you are doing a mild overclock it's as simple as ripping off someone else's settings with the same motherboard . You really don't even need to know what you're doing at that point. Just be careful not to enter the wrong voltages more than anything else and nothing will explode on you.

It's only when you do a really insane overclock that your board's individual personality due to the time of day it was made, the speck of dust that contaminated it, 1 degree of offset of this to that will show up. At that point you're doing a very fine overclock to try to get the absolute maximum out of your machine.

If you want to do something that's really very unserious, like taking an i7 950 from 3>3.8Ghz, you can do it mindlessly in about 10 minutes and another few hours of stress testing to be safe using the parrot technique.

BTW any respectable CPU cooler has a 'bolt though' design. You need access to the rear of your motherboard. Unless your case has a "CPU cutout" which is essentially an open rectangle of space on the motherboard tray allowing rear access, you want to mount the cooler's backplate prior to putting the motherboard in the case. Also in certain cases depending on the orientation a larger cooler may obstruct something, like a RAM slot. You want to be aware of this a head of time by eyeballing the cooler over the socket before you install it. If it covers a ram slot you want to use, make sure you put that stick of ram in, then the cooler over top. I don't think the NHU12 will cover anything on either ASUS motherboard.

__________________
2600K @4.8Ghz*Maximus IV Extreme*GTX 580
2x4GB Gskill 1600Mhz*Intel510 120GB SSD
WD Velociraptor 150GB HDD*HX850*NH-D14

Last edited by Theocnoob; 12-12-10 at 10:04 PM.
Theocnoob is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-12-10, 10:11 PM Thread Starter   #6
Accuracy158
New Member



Join Date: Dec 2010

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theocnoob View Post
Overclocking really isn't that hard. If you are doing a mild overclock it's as simple as ripping off someone else's settings with the same motherboard . You really don't even need to know what you're doing at that point. Just be careful not to enter the wrong voltages more than anything else and nothing will explode on you.

It's only when you do a really insane overclock that your board's individual personality due to the time of day it was made, the speck of dust that contaminated it, 1 degree of offset of this to that will show up. At that point you're doing a very fine overclock to try to get the absolute maximum out of your machine.

If you want to do something that's really very unserious, like taking an i7 950 from 3>3.8Ghz, you can do it mindlessly in about 10 minutes and another few hours of stress testing to be safe using the parrot technique.

BTW any respectable CPU cooler has a 'bolt though' design. You need access to the rear of your motherboard. Unless your case has a "CPU cutout" which is essentially an open rectangle of space on the motherboard tray allowing rear access, you want to mount the cooler's backplate prior to putting the motherboard in the case. Also in certain cases depending on the orientation a larger cooler may obstruct something, like a RAM slot. You want to be aware of this a head of time by eyeballing the cooler over the socket before you install it. If it covers a ram slot you want to use, make sure you put that stick of ram in, then the cooler over top. I don't think the NHU12 will cover anything on either ASUS motherboard.
I don't think you can get to the rear side of the motherboard on either Antec case but as far as covering up other slots (like the RAM) would depend on the mobo more than the case... no?

Also copying other peoples settings for overclocking is as far as I planned to go :P

Last edited by Accuracy158; 12-12-10 at 10:22 PM.
Accuracy158 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-12-10, 10:20 PM Thread Starter   #7
Accuracy158
New Member



Join Date: Dec 2010

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theocnoob View Post
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-506-_-Product

Change GPU to this. () that much $ for ( ) that much performance boost. In MOST cases. Not all GPU's handle all situations the same way. ie- one GPU does THIS game better and they trade places for THAT game.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-482-_-Product

I'd consider this MOBO. Up to you. $10. Nicer looking heatsinks. ROG. Looks nifty. I have the 1366 one.

Definitely grab the 6870 though because it's significantly better in most cases. Also color matches the Maximus mobo.

You need an aftermarket cooler. Otherwise you're buying a higher grade mobo for no reason.

So something like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-014-_-Product

That PSU is fine. I like corsair PSU's. They're rebranded seasonics. This is only because they've never screwed me. I also like Western Digital for that reason.

And read the i5 overclocking guide. You'll want to overclock the CPU. It makes a huge difference. Also depending on your budget I'd consider an i7... and the 1366 socket for that matter.

I'm much more paranoid about my own purchases than this. But will it work? Absolutely. Do the components match? Yes. 900 or 300? Up to you. Review them at Antec's website, or check online reviews (3Dgamerman on youtube does awesome case reviews).

A simpler answer to your initial question is yes, the system you put together would work nicely.
The graphics card was something I was looking at a while back I do see several better deals now.

I'm actually leaning toward this,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130568

Using the MIR this card would come out 50 dollars cheaper than the 6870 (using the MIR also). Do you think the 6870 is worth a 50 dollar price jump?
Accuracy158 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-12-10, 10:39 PM   #8
Theocnoob
Hates Trashcans
LOVES GRAMMER

 
Theocnoob's Avatar 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Near Toronto Canada

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accuracy158 View Post
It's the same card as your original card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...kim1132X509988

For a bigger upfront price. You can 'superclock' any Geforce/Radeon card with RivaTuner or a similar utility.

Yes the 6870 is worth the difference. You'll be fine with either card. The 460 will handle any current game really nicely as will the 6870. In many cases the 6870 is much better.

__________________
2600K @4.8Ghz*Maximus IV Extreme*GTX 580
2x4GB Gskill 1600Mhz*Intel510 120GB SSD
WD Velociraptor 150GB HDD*HX850*NH-D14
Theocnoob is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-12-10, 11:41 PM Thread Starter   #9
Accuracy158
New Member



Join Date: Dec 2010

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theocnoob View Post
It's the same card as your original card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...kim1132X509988

For a bigger upfront price. You can 'superclock' any Geforce/Radeon card with RivaTuner or a similar utility.

Yes the 6870 is worth the difference. You'll be fine with either card. The 460 will handle any current game really nicely as will the 6870. In many cases the 6870 is much better.
Yes, but it is cheaper with the MIR come with a life time warranty and EE.
Accuracy158 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-12-10, 11:51 PM   #10
Theocnoob
Hates Trashcans
LOVES GRAMMER

 
Theocnoob's Avatar 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Near Toronto Canada

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accuracy158 View Post
Yes, but it is cheaper with the MIR come with a life time warranty and EE.
All XFX cards (ie the one I suggested) have lifetime warranty.
Also, not sure if you've ever done an MIR. It's sort of hit and miss.

You may never get the rebate. You may get it in 2014.

__________________
2600K @4.8Ghz*Maximus IV Extreme*GTX 580
2x4GB Gskill 1600Mhz*Intel510 120GB SSD
WD Velociraptor 150GB HDD*HX850*NH-D14
Theocnoob is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-13-10, 06:49 AM   #11
Knufire
Senior Member

 
Knufire's Avatar 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Terre Haute, IN

 
You'd want a 550VX or a 650TX from Corsair for the PSU, pick your choice based on the cost.

If your planning to get two 4GB sets, that's probably not the greatest idea. You would want one set of 2 x 4GB for 8GB of memory. Good choice on the Corsair XMS series though.

__________________
i7-920 3.8 Ghz | Venomous-X w/ Panaflo HS | Sapphire Vapor-X 4890
EVGA X58 SLI LE | 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 | 500GB Samsung OEM | Rosewill 850w | Thermaltake Armor Series | OCZ Vertex 2 60GB

Secondary Rig:
CM Elite 430 | A8-3870K stock | Radeon HD 6670 | 500GB WD Caviar Blue | 4GB G.SKILL DDR3-1333 | ASUS A55

Knufire is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-14-10, 06:48 AM   #12
mokrunka

 
mokrunka's Avatar 

Join Date: Dec 2009

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accuracy158 View Post
Yes if anything the 700W is more than I would ever need.

I don't really want to go over 1000 dollar with this build but I was looking at the ROG board. I wasn't really going to get an after market cooler until I started overclock further down the road.
Just be careful with the republic of gamer boards. They are excellent boards, but they are enthusiast level--it may take some tweaking to have them recognize your RAM and voltage settings, etc

Don't want to steer you in the wrong direction, but just a fair warning!!

__________________
Case: Mountain Mods U2-UFO
PSU: Silverstone Strider Gold 1200W
Mobo: ASUS P9X79
CPU: Intel Core i7 3820 @ 3.8 GHz
Memory: 32 Gb DDR3 2400 RAM, G.Skill Rip Jaws Z Series, 1.5v
Video: GTX 690 4Gb
Storage: LSI MegaRAID 9260-8i, 4X 240Gb Kingston HyperX SSD, RAID 0, 2X Samsung 5400RPM 2Tb, RAID 0, 2X Samsung 5400RPM 2Tb, RAID 1
mokrunka is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-14-10, 01:55 PM Thread Starter   #13
Accuracy158
New Member



Join Date: Dec 2010

 
Thanks for all the help everyone. I really wasn't trying to sound completely set in my ways but I did make my order.

I switched to the corsair 650W (went on sale yesterday), a CoolMaster HAF 922 (instead of Antec), and a 1TB hard drive.

I didn't switch to the ROG board and bought the EVGA 1GB gtx 460 oc (life time warranty 180 dollars) The 5850 just went on sale for 180 today (after I had already bought a graphics card) and may have been a little better both both cards have their strengths and weaknesses.

...the HAF case, ROG board, and ATI card would have been a nice looking combo.

Edit: Sorry I forgot to mention that I also bought the cooling unit and Artic Silver 5.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103057

Last edited by Accuracy158; 12-15-10 at 11:17 AM.
Accuracy158 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-14-10, 02:47 PM   #14
GT3mich
Member

 
GT3mich's Avatar 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Birmingham,Michigan

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokrunka View Post

With hard drive prices as low as they are, I would just go for maybe this only another $10 and you get more than double the storage! If you don't like Seagate, I'm sure you could find a similar deal on WD. I am guessing that you intend to by 2 four Gb sets for your RAM, so that is also a good idea. A 700W PSU would be plenty, if you want to reassure yourself, you could go to this site and plug in the numbers.
Do not buy any Seagate 7200.11 HDD's ever. They are very unreliable. Unless you like expensive bricks.

__________________
Intel Q9550 3.315 GHZ, Gigabyte P45-UD3P
4 gb OCZ Reaper DDR2 800, Sapphire 4870 1gb x2, 3DMark06 20513
Thermaltake TR2 RX 750w,
x2 Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB, 1tb Hitachi drive
<- thats my computer there
GT3mich is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Mobile Skin
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:58 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
You can add these icons by updating your profile information to include your Heatware ID, Benching Profile ID or your Folding/SETI profile ID. Edit your profile!
X

Welcome to Overclockers.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this the best community on the Internet since 1998!


(4 digit year)

Why Join Us?

  • Share experience
  • Max out your hardware
  • Best forum members anywhere
  • Customized forum experience

Already a member?