• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Proper Airflow? Please Look...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

takiwa

I have a Chieftec DX-01W case (pic), with the following fans in place:

A) 92mm blowing out
B) 80mm, 2 in front sucking in, 2 in back blowing out, 1 in power supply
C) 60mm Sunon on Dynatron HS

I have approximated what I would think the airflow to be with the blue arrows. Is it hurting my airflow with only 2 intake and 4 exhaust fans (5 counting the PSU)? I can feel air getting sucked in reasonably strong, but the fans in back do not blow out as hard (or as hot) as the fans on the top. Any suggestions to make this setup better?

my only suggestion would b to try and turn the 2 80mm on the back around and blow em in.this may help in the intake and let more flow on the outtake. then look at case temps and see if any improvement. i dont think will affect cpu temp that much by doing this but is a possabilty anytime u change stuff.
but if it doesnt help. can just turn em back around and just time is lost. u look like u spent some time on airflow and temp control. thats great!

that looks like a very nice setup but i think u might have saved more cash going to water cooling and also noise :D but yeah i think turning those two in the back around might help that is unless ur system is like mine and ur PS pushs a lot of hot air to the back of ur system..

Looks like to much going out. Biggest problem with that will be dust. Too much outflow causes dust to get sucked into your case through the floppy, CD, and any and every other inconvenient place.
Also, having blowholes in combination with top rear mounted fans often creates turbulence, where the fans work against each other and can cause dead spots where no cooling occurs. You want a way to see if this is the case, pop off one side of your cover, put a piece of glass or plexi next to the side, and have some smoke get sucked through the case. This will let you know if you are having good, consistent airflow.

I have a plexi window in the side, so I'll do the smoke test tonight...

that looks like a very nice setup but i think u might have saved more cash going to water cooling and also noise

I would love to go to a water set-up, but I don't have the cash...the fans were left-over from my last system.

Looks like to much going out. Biggest problem with that will be dust

I do have a lot of dust built-up on the front of my case from the intake fans...but I was under the impression that you wanted more going out than coming in? Is this true?

to me its kinda true. the best is to have input=output
if the output is higher then input its ok.
but way i see it u have double the output.
equal i think works better is why i said what i did.
and far as dust goes. i ve had mine runnning 3 months now with no filters. if u can sqeeze em in somewhere thats good. but i havent decided that where my current fans are will be thier final resting places. so when i do then they will get filters. but even now i dont get that much dust to couse any probs. just wipe the blades down once in a while. and use compressed air to blow case out also. then vacuum the area well.

takiwa said:
I do have a lot of dust built-up on the front of my case from the intake fans...but I was under the impression that you wanted more going out than coming in? Is this true?
You do want to keep it as close to equal as possible, but personally, I would lean toward slightly more in. I have all my intakes filtered, and with the amount you have blowing out, as I said before, you will suck dust in through the oddest places. If you constantly remove your covers and keep a good eye on things you can keep the inside fairly clean, but you'd be surprised how quickly it adds up if you don't.

Back