• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amd's on the back page.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Apht3rThawt

Being a nb to the forum I haven't seen any talk about where the amd crowd fits in. The front pages of the ranks are filled with intels and I have to look hard and deep to find amd's showing up. I'm talking mb/cpu's because I do see ati's in the gpu ranks somewhat. High scoring amd's are back on the society pages it seems, "oh, he got second in the bowling tournament." IDK:screwy:? As an apht3rthawt my usename could be Sysiphus. Some of my scores are good for "amd on air," and still they are in the back of a crowd of intels. And I'm not talking about LN2 or Dice because I'm going there, but aside from that it's hard to compete driving a chevy pu in a crowd of sti's, even though I see hard work coming from the amd peeps. There was talk about the difference in dies and mfg btween intel and amd. Intel's man said only one thing counts "Results." But, do they influence the way benchmarks are written, or design the chips to benchmark well? True, amd is still using hammers. My question is; is there any way to filter out the amd's easily or do we need an AMD subteam, separate rankings? It's hard to use the db in hwbot because it is so heavy with fields.

Today I spent 12 hours dragging another 23Mhz out of an x3 740. Are you all that crazy also? See, 4.202 from a 3ghz chip, 12 hours, in freezing cold air, I didn't eat all day.:blah:

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1536745

Last edited:
Nice clocks. AMD is difficult on air because they just love cold so much. Their biggest wall is temperature. Once you get to a certain point at a certain temperature, throwing all the voltage in the world at an AMD chip won't do any good. Same goes with extreme cooling. LN2 is not affordable where I live, so I'm stuck with DICE and once an AMD chip reaches its max for that temperature it won't budge. Try as I might, I couldn't get > 5.5 GHz on both a 1090T and an 1100T, despite trying up to 1.8V. It just wouldn't go further at -78° C. To go farther, LN2's -196° would be required.

It's the nature of the AMD beast. As far as benching goes, the benches aren't written for Intel chips, Intel just does better at some; especially SuperPi (really, any single-core bench). With multi-core benches, their 980X rules the roost because it has 12-threads to crunch the numbers. When comparing their quads with HT vs. AMD's hexes, it's relatively close but AMD definitely requires sub-zero to compete.

To ferret out AMD results, you'll have to narrow it down by processor. Use the Hardware Specs database at HWBot to whittle down your competition and then work on beating comparable hardware. If you're trying to hit globals right off the bat, you'll only end up frustrated.

You'll get there, it just takes time and perseverance!

Also take into account that the market slice catering for benching is so small, AMD has a firm stand in the general market catering for consumers needs pertaining to low cost, low heat, low voltage performing CPU's. Yes clock for clock and bench by bench the Intel chips perform better but that is only in the bench sandbox which is not really where AMD's focus their technology and marketing efforts.

Last edited:
Which brings up another good point - price-to-performance ratio is stellar on AMD's. It's getting better with Intel, but that hasn't been their focus. For the price, AMD does a great job, but that doesn't set records like a kilo-buck CPU does. :)

Dude, 4.2 on a C2 with anything but dice/ln2 is very good!
Most of those things could maybe hit 4ghz if you got lucky and spent a long time at it.

On the plus side, AMD adoption is growing on the team here.

I think AMD's main issue, really, is that superpi absolutely sucks on AMD. Why i have no idea, but wow does it.
Personally i love benching for benching, I'd love to get my hands on an amd system to abuse, i think it'd be fun to learn a new setup (1366 is rather easy on dice IMO).

Well, guys, shucks... I do work hard at it, and realize everybody else does too. I was looking at a 486dx100 mb/cpu and it has a bios chip I had modded way back then. Look out, here comes the way back machine. And thanks, the processor data base is what I needed. Oh, and see in the db a cat. for 486dx100, yowee... Oh, a question. Can I use the same board for different clock submissions? I suppose, huh? Now , if I only have a vga card.

486dx100cu1a.jpg 486dx100jumper1d.jpg

Last edited:
You can use the same mobo for as many different things as you want to, HWBot only cares about the CPU and the GPU.

I remember those days... that was when AMD was faster and cheaper. Glorious!

Being a nb to the forum I haven't seen any talk about where the amd crowd fits in. The front pages of the ranks are filled with intels and I have to look hard and deep to find amd's showing up. I'm talking mb/cpu's because I do see ati's in the gpu ranks somewhat. High scoring amd's are back on the society pages it seems, "oh, he got second in the bowling tournament." IDK:screwy:? As an apht3rthawt my usename could be Sysiphus. Some of my scores are good for "amd on air," and still they are in the back of a crowd of intels. And I'm not talking about LN2 or Dice because I'm going there, but aside from that it's hard to compete driving a chevy pu in a crowd of sti's, even though I see hard work coming from the amd peeps. There was talk about the difference in dies and mfg btween intel and amd. Intel's man said only one thing counts "Results." But, do they influence the way benchmarks are written, or design the chips to benchmark well? True, amd is still using hammers. My question is; is there any way to filter out the amd's easily or do we need an AMD subteam, separate rankings? It's hard to use the db in hwbot because it is so heavy with fields.

Today I spent 12 hours dragging another 23Mhz out of an x3 740. Are you all that crazy also? See, 4.202 from a 3ghz chip, 12 hours, in freezing cold air, I didn't eat all day.:blah:

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1536745

Yes we are all crazy as well ;)

With regards to AMD and benching. If you're looking at Benchmarking Globals (best of the best) then it has absolutely nothing to do with Intel or AMD... it all comes down to who is the fastest. There's no need to create another classification for AMD simply because they cannot currently "keep up" with Intel in the benching world.
This all has nothing to do with price/performance ratio, or whether or not AMD produces good CPU's... because they do. I like AMD and I like the thought of AMD coming back to the top. When/if that happens... you will surely see them at the top of the benchmarking global lists;) AMD will still produce a lot of HW boints, so don't let that slow you down.

Funny thing though. The chips may fall in entirely new directions. Like modding your phone. Small computers everywhere but no boxes we can fill up with things with cool sounding names; crossfire, iram, ssd. So sad.:( Amd/ati on a chip. Intel gfx, Nvidia? Idk. And I'm going for the 486 records anyhow, FTW.:clap:

Well we could always use more AMD Benchers here. Chance and I are the only two atm. I would be making more noise on the bot and here, but I've been busy with school and work. Although I'm going to try and do some work on my new 1090T tomorrow.

Well we could always use more AMD Benchers here. Chance and I are the only two atm. I would be making more noise on the bot and here, but I've been busy with school and work. Although I'm going to try and do some work on my new 1090T tomorrow.

icebob, hokie, and xoke also bench AMD. Dolk is the only one that doesn't go both ways though :D... I don't know if that's good or bad :chair:

I love benching AMD, it's a blast!

That said, it's somewhat frustrating when you get to that temperature wall with AMD because you KNOW it has more...you just can't get there at that temperature. All chips have a wall though, so it's either FSB, voltage or 'I just won't go any more, stop beating on me!' It's always fun to find out where the wall lies. :)

I love benching AMD, it's a blast!

That said, it's somewhat frustrating when you get to that temperature wall with AMD because you KNOW it has more...you just can't get there at that temperature. All chips have a wall though, so it's either FSB, voltage or 'I just won't go any more, stop beating on me!' It's always fun to find out where the wall lies. :)

Pshhh I don't recall there ever being a wall for me :p

I'm tempted to pick up an Asus A7N8X board and some BH-5 ram to run some benching from when AMD used to be the fastest :D

Back