• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best SLI / CROSSFIRE option?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fabe

Registered
Hi, I'm using at the moment 1 GTX 470 with a 550W PSU.

I'm thinking about an update soon, but I'm not sure yet. I'd like to stay with the
PSU, but I'd like to use 2 GPU's and also new powerful RAM.

Is a PSU update needed when I want to use 2 GPU's ?
The 2 GPU's should be better as the GTX 470 ofcourse..

any ideas?

What is the exact model of the PSU ? Whats your whole system configuration ? If you want to add a second 470 ,you will certainly need a new PSU.

What is the exact model of the PSU ? Whats your whole system configuration ? If you want to add a second 470 ,you will certainly need a new PSU.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
RAM: 6GB Samsung DDR3
GPU: GTX 470
PSU: 550W 80+ Bronze (Something like that)

I don't want to change the PSU, and a second GTX 470 is not needed. Just a
different option, it just need to fit with the PSU and need to be more powerful
than the single GTX 470.

my oc470 sli maxed out at about 720w usage with furmark. definitely get a higher rated psu to avoid problems.

my oc470 sli maxed out at about 720w usage with furmark. definitely get a higher rated psu to avoid problems.

As I said, 470 SLI is not really want I'm looking for, because I know I will need
a higher PSU :)

with a 550w psu you could do a gtx450 sli which will not perform as well as your gtx470.

Really confused here...

What DOESNT your 470 run full tilt?

Also, you have 6GB of ram in a dual channel system... odd. What are the speed and timings of your ram?

I jus think that you are going about this whole upgrade with your eyes closed (but thats why you posted here). Ram isnt likely to change anything, and your 470 is likely running anything you throw at it...

I don't know much about my computer honestly.. How can I check the timings?
Is there a way to configure the timings and update them so they will run/perform better?

Sure the 470 is a beast, but I want more power and searching for a good option..
But I guess I have to update my PSU sooner or later, RAM to because it's a cheap
samsung version if i'm right..

May have any good ideas for any updates? PSU, RAM and GPU? Also one of my HDD's
is doing a "click" sound whenever I install a game or do stuff :S

Well what I would suggest before upgrading anything learn more about your PC, because you have a very good rig. I asume you are running the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.2ghz, you would probably see more benifit OCing it, than upgrading your GPU. And if you really, really, really want to upgrade why not step up to a single 570 or 580 instead of stepping down to two lower cards???

I overclocked it to 3.6 for all cores... Yeah, I may open a new topic to talk about a RAM
update then? That would be a good upgrade or?

I don't know much about my computer honestly.. How can I check the timings?
Is there a way to configure the timings and update them so they will run/perform better?

Sure the 470 is a beast, but I want more power and searching for a good option..
But I guess I have to update my PSU sooner or later, RAM to because it's a cheap
samsung version if i'm right..

May have any good ideas for any updates? PSU, RAM and GPU? Also one of my HDD's
is doing a "click" sound whenever I install a game or do stuff :S
We need to know what exactly you have first before we can reccomend anything better. :soda:

Back