• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

video cards affect mb/cpu ocing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Apht3rThawt

Yesterday, I spent at low ambients -3c ocing my x3/740. 890gx gigabyte with a gts 250. It clocked pretty well to 4180 but not 4200. Took 1 of my giga hd5770oc and put it in and could only get to 4140, no matter the tweaks. Took it out and went with built-in gfx, ati 4350 I believe and it went to 4202. I thought that having no video card would lessen the stress on the board and it appears it does. Higher clocks with built-in gfx, lower clocks with ati card, middle clocks with gts 250. Anybody else have the same experience?

Using bios only. Is it related to the power draw from psu? With 2 5770's in the 809fx I was able to get to 4424. Didn't try it with the gts250, maybe get higher with it? The 890gx had the problem. That is with an ambient of =<3c. Tried for hours and the cards made a difference.

might be something to do with initialization, I bet you get the same distance on all of them with software...which you should be using anyways, especially for XP

The only place I've seen such a thing previously is with high PCIe speeds for 1366 bclk OCing. Some GPUs hate high pcie and hence don't allow high bclk (as it requires high pcie).

That said, I have not tested different GPUs like you did.

m0r7if3r said "I bet you get the same distance on all of them with software"

I'm old fashioned. Why should I use software? to oc? I have tried amd od, and ntune/rivatune but not good results or no patience. Seemed too slippery. Btw what's good nvidia vga oc software? I am a mechanic in the blood and use wrenches not obd. But, I could change if it is worthy.:eh?: And how would that change what I described?

For CPUs you can almost always get at least 100mhz more if you OC in windows then if you OC in bios, there is plenty of benchability in settings that are too unstable to even POST, and quite a bit more in settings that will post but crash on windows (my 980x on dice for instance, will not load XP at anything over 5.2ghz, but will run some benches at close to 5.5ghz).

GPU wise i like MSI Afterburner for ATI and Nvidia.

I too am a mechanic, automotive, mostly imports.

on XP load it will hit 100% cpu util at some point, making it rather difficult to get the most boints for CPUZ, and other benches where you're pushing really heavy clocks. The best gfx oc software for either company is msi afterburner imo (works for all manufacturers)

.GPU wise i like MSI Afterburner for ATI and Nvidia.

I too am a mechanic, automotive, mostly imports.

Ok guys, msi afterburner for gpu's. Should I use amd od? I check fan speeds and temps and info using it, but would enjoy another 100mhz. Or is there another to try?

I was import auto man and then got my commercial pilot's license and felt dumb, so went to school and got my A&P, airframe and powerplant ticket. Made me a better pilot and car mechanic. Worked on DC3's, c-46, d-18, all older machines with round engines, :salute:go Pratt&Whitney, go Wright. Not flying or wrenching these days, at least on airplanes.:)

The only place I've seen such a thing previously is with high PCIe speeds for 1366 bclk OCing. Some GPUs hate high pcie and hence don't allow high bclk (as it requires high pcie).

Is it impossible to lock the PCI-E on 1366 motherboards?

Is it impossible to lock the PCI-E on 1366 motherboards?

The PCIe is set at 100mhz by default, and is not linked to the base clock of the CPU. Bobnova was refering to the fact that, on 1366 you need to increase PCIe frequency in order to increase bclk potential.
Most 1366 boards will need a PCIe increase to get past 220 bclk. SATA hd's will limit you due to the fact that they don't like much past 112-115. IDE doesn't use the PCIe, so benching 1366 for 2d benches is best suited to a PATA drive ;)

Most 1366 boards will need a PCIe increase to get past 220 bclk.

Why? And by how much per 1 Mhz?

Reminds me of the Via chipset dividers on socket A motherboards.

Where you had fixed ranges.

But, does this mean unlocking the regular PCI, too?

it sorta varies, but you gotta be careful with it, I wouldn't go past 105 for daily use. Pushing PCIe basically allows you to get to your bclock wall.

I usually run 110 for daily use, for some reason my dinoraptor likes it more than 100.

Why? And by how much per 1 Mhz?

There is no hard and fast rule. From my understanding on the subject, it is related to the clock generator PLL's. If the PCIe and Bclk are too far out of phase the interference creates too much chatter. Keeping "close" to bclk divisions 220/110, 230/115, etc... keeps the chatter to a minimum thus increasing your potential. It really only happens when blck reaches a certain point. (Usually around 220 + or - 5). And the term "close" is obviously not extremely accurate, as variations will obviously be present.

Back