• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video editing and "let's plays"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

donneee

Registered
1st a short synapses of how i got to where i am atm:

today i was THISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS bored that i've vowed to either make a let's play or put all the keyboard and mouse controls mapped onto my ps3 controller for dragon age.

since i can't find a detailed map of controls on the ps3 for dragon age, i was going to learn how to make a let's play video (another thing i was incised to try or learn how to do).

2nd, for those that don't know what a "let's play" is, it's a video segment of a player's commentary on a level play out of a game.

Thinking it'd be as simple as recording my voice and the gameplay... let's just say it's not after researching a bit.

I've found so many complications in trying to make a "perfect" let's play recording studio, it's going to take a lot more effort then i initially thought.

First, i thought i needed recording hardware, but to my understanding i found software to be better (for this type of recording, since the games will be played on the PC and the recording and commentary will also be done on the PC). Hardware is what i would have prefered, but somewhere down the line, i couldn't find something that'll let me record my voice at the same time i'm playing my game. I'm pretty sure fraps or camstudio offers that feature but both will render my ability to run games in almost half the fps or cause me great lag. Unless i'm mistaken, i haven't found a video capturing card that can also record my voice (i have not researched about the software for the video capturing cards as of yet).

keep in mind i have a Q6600, a quad core, with enough power being overclocked and all to do this task but the load, it's really too much for just 4 cores. i thought about maybe getting a better build, but atm that cost way too much money and too much effort. so that idea was scrapped. also, either my OC or my HDD can't keep up with such a load, so as soon as i redo my OC, or get a better hdd, i am at a stand point. my oc's stable enough to last 24 hours though, it just over heats, so i will be getting a new cooler.

so what now? i asked myself, well... in the midst of thinking about a 2nd build, i thought what if i could just get another computer (cheap amd) and record the video coming from my main computer to lessen the stress on my main pc's cpu? so instead of recording video and playing a game on one video, i can just have a 2nd pc record the video from my main pc. well that still leaves me with the issue of how i'd get my voice to record on the 2nd pc? since it's hardware based recording, i would have to voice over the gameplay watching the replay, which is not a LP, that's more of a "let's review" imo. also, a 2nd problem is how am i going manage 2 pc's at once? i know i could record first on the 2nd pc, but i'd only want to record from my main monitor. again hardware would save me from the complications in processing power, but how will i only get the recording of only one of my monitors?

Another idea i came across (which is a variation of my previous ideas) as i was reading forums about what's better then fraps. the idea was that i could render my games to use 2 cores while frap uses the other 2 cores of my cpu, but that would probably cause instability and i'd have to undo my overclock. I'd also need a new hard drive for that, a fast one with lots of cache. not to mention super big. this maybe be the best idea i have at the moment, since i'm not spending any money on anything new other then perhaps a new HDD for recording. the only problem i figure is that i can't play games on max that utilize 4 or more cores. The idea of getting an i7 950 and a new mobo is really really really looking to be a better idea for less complications now.

So, i went back to my first idea and maybe i could just use fraps (since i have not used it over a year, idk how the lag is now, if there is any lag that is).the "on-par" alternative was camstudio, it's as known as fraps is and it might deliver, but i'm not so sure how it'll toll on my cpu. so first thing is first, i need a new, hella-big hdd. 2tb. nice big cache on it. well i suppose i can settle for 1tb, but eh... no matter. i will use a new hdd dedicated only for video recording. and also partially for storage of all my "let's plays"

i'm getting a new cpu cooler from my brother, so i don't need to worry about stability when that time comes.

i'll prolly get my cpu to 3.6 or maybe 4.0 if i get a good one that's lapped well enough. (h70 is bastardized by so many negative reviews when comparing to it's predecessor: the h50, because it's only a few degrees of a performance difference, and there are air coolers that can out preform it, BUT i have a small case, so this is perfect for me. but this is off topic, i'll rant about it later.)

i guess i should get to know fraps or i might download camcapture or what ever it's called and see how that works. i'll need something to work on only one of my monitors since i like playing my games in full screen. my best guess is fraps, but i don't want that lag when playing in game (any game for that matter). Camstudio, i'm not sure if it records full screen videos on only one monitor. i refuse to take off my dual monitor, since i can read scripts if i need to do a tutorial on something.

but as for now...
do any of you guys have any proposals on what i could do? I'm a picture perfect kinda guy, and having a crappy recording will not sit best with me. I know i can use windows 7 to lower the sound in my game to about 50% when ever i talk, so it will look, sound and feel professional. let's also assume i have a very stable OC (which i will soon enough) and a 2-1 TB hdd with 64mb cache (there's faster but i want a bigger one to keep all my recordings.)

for anyone that's way into video recording and editing and rendering, what could you suggest i do with the hardware i have (assuming i have that stable OC and a new HDD)?

Camtasia is probably your best bet. Camtasia will allow recording in full-screen or in a windowed screen. So the recording of one monitor shouldn't be an an issue. Audio can be taken from a mic or the actual computer audio.

hmm thanks for the suggestion, i was beginning to think no one on OC.com does any type of PC video recording.

i'll look it up soon thanks

Back