• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HIS 5770 Artifacts problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MariusRZR

Hello guys.I have a problem with my video card and i was unable to find as solution to it.
I have a HIS 5770,with cooling like 5850,I have attached a photo.
Now the problem...when i first turn on the PC,it appears the screen that shows the CPU frequency,the amount of RAM,the HDDs and all that crap.At the top of my screen i get some strange linear artifacts. Sometimes they are white,sometimes red...(i think they're red because they stand next to a red LOGO)When my WinXP boots up,i get blue artifacts,on the loading bar,next to the loading bar,and a quite big vertical blue line next to the windows XP logo.
I get them in BIOS as well,but only when i open a subsection.Let me explain:D
When i first enter BIOS i get no artifacts,but if i try to OC my CPU,when i hit enter to select the desired FSB a small blue window pops out(The list with the frequencies)When that list is open,i get artifacts on that list,and on the top of the screen.

In games i have no problem so far,except warcraft III on low resolution.
in 640x480 the game is filled with artifacts,i tried to print screen it,but they do not appear in the picture....
I changed the resolution to 1280x1024 and the artifacts were gone.

Is my card dying?or a bad memory chip?Bad bios?

Please excuse me if i haven't made myself clear...I am not a native english speaker,and sometimes it's hard to find the right words

Attachments

• 14-161-306-TS.jpeg
    14-161-306-TS.jpeg
    16.7 KB · Views: 314
Make sure youre not overclocking the PCIexpress bus along with the FSB... there is an option in the BIOS to unlock it. Set the PCIE frequency to 100MHz and leave it there along with default voltages for the card. Make sure the card is not over heating too. Check the 12V lines you have hooked up to the card, make sure youre getting the right amount of voltage from the PSU. If the problems continue you will need to try to RMA it or try the oven trick at your own risk.

Download furmark,run stress test,while monitoring the temperatures,run for about 15 minutes.Report back if crashes and at what temperature. You may also install a different driver package,I advice you to use Driver sweeper software,and reading the instruction on driver installation procedure.

I have tried it on two sistems,Gigabyte G31M-ES2C,and ASUS M2N.At least on the asus it shows the temperature right...after five minutes in furmark,66 degrees on 1280x1024 8xMSAA(OC to 960 1445,66 degrees).on the Gigabyte at least 90 degrees on stock.I have touched the card...it's not hot,not even when the sensor reads 105 degrees:).

I have no problems in 3d,Crysis,GTAIV etc...only in low rez warcraft 3,and when i turn on the PC,and boot screen.

I will be back in 15 minutes than.But i tell you,now the readings are good,at 960/1445,after five minutes 66 degrees.ON the Gigabyte G31M ES2C,the reading starts at 80 degrees,and in a few seconds reaches 105 on lower rezolutions.If i select 1920x1080 8XMSAA,it stops at 90,it doesn't reach 105.

what are you using to overvolt the card to get to those clocks?

my 5770 needs 1.275volts to hit 995/1450.. if you're using hte stock voltage you're just not running a stable overclock.. for what you posted (960/1445) you should be in the 1.23-1.25 range imo

what are you using to overvolt the card to get to those clocks?

my 5770 needs 1.275volts to hit 995/1450.. if you're using hte stock voltage you're just not running a stable overclock.. for what you posted (960/1445) you should be in the 1.23-1.25 range imo

I am not overvolting anything.Just pushing the MSI afterburner sliders to the max.

20 minutes furmark 1280x1024 8xMSAA stock frequencies.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    168 KB · Views: 295
if you unlocked the voltage slider then its the top slider bar, then clock speed, then memory, then fan

I did not unlocked the voltage slider.Just Core and memory,fan on auto.960/1445 no artifacts in 3dmark 06 or vantage,or Crysis,or GTA IV...or any other game...MOH,COD...the list goes on.Just low resolution warcraft 3,and maybe other old games,i assume

As i said,i just OC to see if the temperature changes,it does...a bit.But on G31M ES2C on stock and 640x480 the card reached 105 really fast.Now on ASUS M2N max 65 after 20 minutes in furmark.I do not use OC for daily use.Artifacts show before the OS loads.
Could it be the 2d clocks?Faulty BIOS?

MSI ScreenShot.

I didn't leave it like this,i just showed you how i did it.I reverted the settings right away.If i press Apply the card works just fine without any voltage control.

Attachments

• MSI.JPG
    MSI.JPG
    169.9 KB · Views: 302
Can someone explain how to unlock voltage for HD5770, i have crossfire setup @ 875/1300 on stock voltage, how high can i clock on stock voltage?

Search for a setting in MSI Afterburner,it allows you to unlock the voltage slider.I can go from 860/1200 to 960/1445 without any voltage change....

On topic...no one knows why my card shows artifacts in XP loadscreen and ...the first screen when i power up the PC?:D

It works really well in Games(except low rezolution warcraft 3...it shows a whole bunch of green lines,but when i change the resolution to 1280x1024,it works great.

I also see a vertical line near the pointer...not always,especialy in firefox.I'll try to make some photos with my cellphone,tomorrow

Back