• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I know if I got a used motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

olegsomphane

So I have received 3 Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 mobos from newegg over the past year (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128443). They were all the same revision 2.1. The first two showed up with a sticker over the PCI slots, but the last one did not. What are the chances that I got sent a used one or maybe Gigabyte stopped putting stickers on them at some point? Is there a way to figure it out? Reason I am asking is that newegg has shipped me used parts (cpu's for example) in the past...

Don't retail boxes generally ship with manufacturer stickers so you know if it has been opened or not? All the boards I've seen have this.

Hmm, there are stickers that you could put on your case. Other than that, the motherboard is in an anti-static bag that has a piece of tape on it.

There are usually stickers on the box of the motherboard to indicate when someone has opened the box since you need to cut/break them to get to the hardware inside.

Not on any of the Gigabyte boards I've seen in the last few years. The only thing sealing 'em is the shrinkwrap, no tape or anything.

Im with thideras on this one. Every board I have ever bought has either had the box sealed or the static bag sealed. If neither one or the other was sealed I would question it.

Was it sealed shrinkwrap or just folded over with the side that is open? I mean the shrink wrap appears to have come like that from the factory...

That isn't what I mean. There are usually stickers on the box of the motherboard to indicate when someone has opened the box since you need to cut/break them to get to the hardware inside. A "tamper evident" sticker is the technical term.

I was hoping for this but recently none of the mobos I have received have come with tamper evident stickers/seals :/ I am not really sure I like this new trend...

Back