• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU overheating past 80 degrees celsius

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

squadz

Specs:

1 x Gigabyte - GA-P55A-UD4P w/ Dual DDR3 2200, 7.1 Audio, Dual Gigabit Lan, USB 3.0, 1394, PCI-E CrossFireX / SLI
1 x Seagate - 1TB Barracuda 7200.12 SATA II w/ 32MB Cache
1 x Zalman CNPS10X Extreme Universal Heatsink
1 x Assemble - Assemble Hardware
1 x Antec - Three Hundred Versatile Mid Tower Gamer Case
1 x Kingston - HyperX 4GB PC3-12800 Dual Channel DDR3 Kit (2 x 2GB) C9 w/ Intel XMP
1 x Corsair - CX600 600W Power Supply
1 x Samsung - SH-S243D 24x DVD-Writer, SATA, Black
1 x Intel - Core™ i5 Processor 760 2.8GHz w/ 8MB Cache
1 x Sapphire - Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort

I'm running out of options. I've checked Coretemp and under a full load it's going well past 70 degrees, most of the time above 80. Speedfan is showing completely different numbers though, idling with a 34 degree average, where Coretemp would show 50. I just got this brand new computer two weeks ago, so it isn't dust already. OCCT fails when I try it, and I'm running everything under stock settings, haven't overclocked or anything.

Any advice?

Have you checked your heat sink? Is the fan spinning? Is it tight to the chip? Did you put too much/ too little TIM on?

I'm very limited with knowledge about hardware, but the fan is spinning yes. The whole block can be moved though. Not sure what TIM is. I recieved this computer pre-built.

TIM= Thermal Interface Material. It's thermal grease that comes in a tube. This stuff helps transfer heat from the chip to the heatsink. Most likely the heatsink on your cpu isn't mounted correctly or someone either added too much TIM (which can act as an insulator) or not enough.

Thus is why your temps are high. My suggestion is to return the unit back to where you bought it from and have them address the heating problem.

Otherwise you will have a very big, very expensive paperweight.

How much can it be moved? Does it seem firmly attached, though you can twist it? If it is rocking back and forth, that is your problem.

How much can it be moved? Does it seem firmly attached, though you can twist it? If it is rocking back and forth, that is your problem.

I can rock it back and forth yes, with very limited effort.

As for returning it, I bought it from Calgary and I'm in Toronto. I'll have to find a shop around here to bring it to I guess.

As for returning it, I bought it from Calgary and I'm in Toronto. I'll have to find a shop around here to bring it to I guess.

Remember if you bought it from a specific shop, they carry a warranty with it. If you decide to take it to another shop, your warranty will be voided.

If anything craps out afterwards, you will be holding the bag. Meaning you will have to pay out of pocket since your warranty was voided.

Just something to think about.

I'm sure that shop has a phone...just call them, I bet they'll help accommodate you.

Back