• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reversing direction of case fans for "cooling channel"?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mikeyw

Hi all,

I noticed that all 3 of my case fans (CM 690 II) point outwards.

However, my Thermaktake Frio CPU cooler has both fans working together to create a channel of air flowing over the cooling plates, and out the back.

I was wondering if it's a good idea to reverse my front fan so that it sucks air in?

Or should I just leave it as it is.

Hi all,

However, my Thermaktake Frio CPU cooler has both fans working together to create a channel of air flowing over the cooling plates, and out the back.

I was wondering if it's a good idea to reverse my front fan so that it sucks air in?

Only way to find out which is better is to try it. Every situation can be different and not just because of different cases but because of what goes into those cases. Long video cards can almost cut a case in half, leaving it with two separate cooling zones, where the case is placed has much impact on flow behind, above, below and beside the case, etc.

So switch a few fans around and let us know what works best, you might help someone else out down the road with what you discover.

Last edited:
Only way to find out which is better is to try it. Every situation can be different and not just because of different cases but because of what goes into those cases. Long video cards can almost cut a case in half, leaving it with to separate cooling zones, where the case is placed has much impact on flow behind, above, below and beside the case, etc.

So switch a few fans around and let us know what works best, you might help someone else out down the road with what you discover.

That's exactly what i was going to say.
Give a try and see what happens!
Then post back and let us know.

Hi all,

Did you flip the front fan so that it works as exhaust? The stock setup for the CM 690 II is:
Front -> Intake
Rear -> Exhaust
Top -> Exhaust

Back