• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me please OC Failed i7950

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

i7950
Rampage 3 Formula
6GB Mushkin 1600Mhz
150GB Velociraptor
XFX6870 1GB

I re-wired my system and re-mounted my CPU cooler because the wiring was messy and the backplate for the NHD14 was not mounted properly. When I powered back on my overclock failed. Here is a link to the overclock thread. I was rather quite stable at 190x21 on my i7950

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6708226#post6708226

Everything is connected properly. The ONLY DIFFERENCE in the setup is that I connected the front panel 120mm fans to different fan headers at the top right rather than ones along the bottom.

headers.jpg

The GREEN are the fan headers I'm using NOW. where as the ORANGE is where they were connected before. This is the only change to the setup other than cleaned up cabling. Could this be an issue?

Could my hard drive's SATA cable be somehow messed up and cause an OC fail? I don't think it can... I'm running HD tests just the same and will post those momentarily.

Last edited:
DSCF5931.jpg

Current wiring

*The system seems slightly pokey and less responsive... almost like when you undervolt a CPU to just a hair above where it won't work.

It's definitely not a cooler re-seating issue... At 3Ghzish (stock) full load temp is like 49C

CPU-z Screens?
Did you clear cmos and reapply your overclock? It will do that sometimes after reseating the HSF.

CPU-z Screens?
Did you clear cmos and reapply your overclock? It will do that sometimes after reseating the HSF.

Cpuz screens also descriptive video uploading. 10 mins ETA.

Clear CMOS? You mean physically by pressing the CLR CMOS button on the back of the case? No.

Thanks Freeagent.

I really wish I could have offered some advice, unfortunately my cpu is not as smoothe and as refined and your guys's :(

I beat this thing with brute voltage to get it to do what I want. But I can only get 4ghz out of it with ht on. I would say moar vtt and more vcore and more IOH and moar... voltage all around :)

VIDEO of me rewiring the system. Clues???

VIDEO of me remounting the cooler.

and right THEN is when I got OC failed. After recording that last video and turning the PC back on.

I HAVE to get to a hardware store/pc store and get the correct mounting screws for this motherboard I cant believe they didnt fit it makes no sense...

Last edited:
When you finished your overclock earlier (before you tore it apart), did you save it as a profile in your BIOS? If you didn't, reenter the BIOS and input your last settings. I then recommend you save it as a profile (if you haven't), then F10 (save and exit).
The pokey feeling you're experiencing, is most likely due to the fact that your ram defaulted to 1066 at 8-8-8 timings... that's quite slow.

When you finished your overclock earlier (before you tore it apart), did you save it as a profile in your BIOS? If you didn't, reenter the BIOS and input your last settings. I then recommend you save it as a profile (if you haven't), then F10 (save and exit).
The pokey feeling you're experiencing, is most likely due to the fact that your ram defaulted to 1066 at 8-8-8 timings... that's quite slow.

I saved it as a profile. It WILL NOT run the profiles that were perfectly stable before...

Should I clear CMOS?

You mean it will not run them stable, or it will not post with them?

Will not post with them. I cleared CMOS. Still will not post with them. It allowed me to set RAM to 1600Mhz with everything else auto. That's where I'm at now. :rain:

We can fix this man! The batch number ends in my birth year. It's a sign.

ram speed set to 1066 8-8-8 timings set by default has nothing do do with his problem, i had the same thing my Evga x58 sli set my OCZ 1600 ram to those timings by default, i had to update bios and set ram timings manually, if all else fails he should flash bios and update them, after that create new profiles do not use old one.

ram speed set to 1066 8-8-8 timings set by default has nothing do do with his problem, i had the same thing my Evga x58 sli set my OCZ 1600 ram to those timings by default, i had to update bios and set ram timings manually, if all else fails he should flash bios and update them, after that create new profiles do not use old one.

Again all this was stable before re seating the cooler and re-wiring.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6708226#post6708226

I'm going to reinstall W7x64. I will re enter overclock settings manually if that fails I will reflash... I have 2 bios chips anyways so it won't nuke me should something happen.

Apparently ASUS Biosupdater is not compatible with W7x64 even though I downloaded the 'W7x64 version' so I will have to reflash through DOS. Do I just put the ROM for the bios and the BUPDATER (DOS VERSION) on a USB key and boot it?

It's always best to set your ram timings, speed and voltage manually. Those timings are crap slow, and yes it would be noticeable.

I would reseat your CPU, Ram, and HSF.

If you do want to update the BIOS (which there should be no reason to, especially if it's a new board) IIRC Asus has the Qflash from within the BIOS. Save the new BIOS to a USB stick, navigate to the QFlash in the BIOS, follow the prompts.

I used your method to update to the latest bios Nzaneb thanks :).
I am still having issues. I am going to reinstall windows at stock settings. I also moved the hard drive from SATA1 to SATA3 on the ICH10R controller.... no difference....

It's funny. I wanted to make things neat and tidy and I've ended up troubleshooting for seven hours now.

Something weird is happening here... I have 6GB (3x2GB) of RAM. Windows said I had TWO. Then I rebooted and it said FOUR.

WTH

CPUz however DOES know I have six gigs....

Going to reinstall windows. And possibly rip some of my hair out. Back soon.

WINDOWS AND my BIOS (505, the new one) only see 2GB but CPU-z sees 6GB... windows is pokey because of the loss of 2GB.... why would this happen.... Are the RAM modules bad or is it the board?

Last edited:
Back