• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

In Brazil with generic psu...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stratcatprowlin

I'm afraid to fold on it to be honest with you because the rest of the rig is nice.It has folded fine for a couple of weeks but it is a new build and I don't wanna chance it.Do you recommend I stop folding until I can import a good psu?A good psu in
Brazil is very hard to find and they are extremely expensive as well.
I currently can't afford a brand new psu from newegg and pay taxes from customs on top of it which will cost about the same as the psu in the end...
Also perhaps if someone has a decent one they could donate I could pay for shipping.It would be very much apreciated and you know it will be foding at least.I feel terrible asking but you never know.I used to have stuff laying around that I gave away too.
Whatya guys think?Should I stop folding for now with this rig?

I forget what you have Cat. I would say the worst that could happen is the psu goes. If its folding that tells you its stable enough for almost anything else...maybe hardcore gaming.

I don't have anything to drive a new mobo, something with a 8 plug cpu power. What are you currently using?

I hope dfonda.
Usually that's what has happened to me in the past.I hear stories of the psu taking stuff out with them though.
Anyhow I just gave my Opteron 180 rig to a teenager here.Someone needing it for school and I built something a little more newish to replace it but could not get a decent PSU.
It's an Intel E5400 2.7ghz with 4 gigs of ddr2,Nvidia 8400GS,Biostar G31M and a generic 500watt www.wisecase.com.br PSU that has a whopping 4.79Volt 5 Volt line droop(Total local nonsense):(
Needless to say there can be no overclocking yet.I'm sure I can get 3.4ghz on this wolfdale core on air though if I had the juice...
A nice upgrade overall though since I don't game much anymore,the 8400GS 512mb is fine for HD movies and the E5400 is faster than the Opteron overall.plus I got double the ram and ddr2 compared to what I had before.This is my new desktop.
Amoung the folders ranks I also have a Q8200S based server up in Dallas Texas with 8 gigs of ram that I rent monthly.Along with that I have like 2-3 machines from donors with permission folding under my name as well.
That's my story:) Thanks for reading hehe.

That rig, even when overclocked & folding is not going to draw that much juice..........I would run with it myself. Especially when considering how much it will be for you to replace it.

If it should pop, although possible, it is not likely to take anything with it.

Fold on & merry christmas. :santa2:

Yeah I'll confirm what Cuda says 1 psu that failed just shut off and hurt nothing.The other failure was indicated when my USB ports lost their power and only worked with self powered peripherals. Nothing else was hurt.

My 8400gs refused to fold at all, total failure.
That system at 100% load draws maybe 130w, it should be ok on a generic PSU if the psu itself doesn't have massive defects.

You ought to make something over 1500 ppd on the E5400 @ 2.7 GHz. I don't think the small cache will hurt you on a3 WUs like it would on memory intensive A2 WUs. Here's results from a E6600 @ 2.56 GHz on the lowest producing WU:
Code:
 Project ID: 6701
 Core: GRO-A3
 Credit: 921
 Frames: 100

Name: LHB Win SMP
 Path: \\Cprcc-ws12\ASRock FAH\SMP\
 Number of Frames Observed: 300

Min. Time / Frame : 00:29:47 - 1,536 PPD
 Avg. Time / Frame : 00:30:37 - 1,473 PPD
 Cur. Time / Frame : 00:29:57 - 1,518 PPD
 R3F. Time / Frame : 00:29:58 - 1,518 PPD
 All  Time / Frame : 00:29:57 - 1,518 PPD
 Eff. Time / Frame : 00:30:19 - 1,500 PPD

You can forget about folding on the gpu.

My 8400gs refused to fold at all, total failure.
That system at 100% load draws maybe 130w, it should be ok on a generic PSU if the psu itself doesn't have massive defects.

Then it shall fold!
The 8400GS actually did fold fine but it slowed down the whole computer and was taking like 20+ hours per wu.
Anyhow,are you sure about the 100% Load draw around 130watts?
Because the tower is all alone on a 600va ups with a power factor of .5 which gives me 300va's to run with and I don't want to even come close to reaching the limit on the ups or risk damage,fire etc..The monitor,powered speakers and modem/router are on a separate ups.Down in these parts I lose power at least twice a month for a few minutes at a time to a few hours but I have the clients set to pause on battery.
Can we confirm the full load wattage here?
Thank you guys:).

E5400 is only 65 Watts and the 8400GS is another 40 at max load (do you ever run it at max?) the rest of the stuff probably draws no more than 30 watts. So 130 is accurate. If you have a 300 watt PS, that would be enough, and you have much more than that.

Great it's up and folding the windows smp client again.Thank all you guys and especially ChasR.Always has the details :) :thup:

I'd be shocked if the e5400 actually used it's entire TDP too, my e5200 came in at like 36w 100% load.

It is a good idea to figure by TDP though, unless you're very sure it uses less (or more).

Back