• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need feedback on this build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Genjix

would be used for light photoshop, video editing and other mulitmedia.

please give feedback. also need suggestion on case

DVD RW - ASUS DRW-24B1ST

ASUS VW224U Black 22" 2ms(GTG) Widescreen LCD Monitor

Western Digital Caviar Black WD6402AAEX 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

XFX HD-567X-ZNF3 Radeon HD 5670 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 ...

CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1333C7 G

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950

ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Will you be overclocking at all? You definitely can be saving money in a lot of areas. The SSD really won't help you that much. Get RAID 0 HDD's for now and let SSD's drop in price. Mobo is a little too much. A Gigabyte X58-UD3R is a better choice. Will you be gaming? If not then get a ATI 5570 or 5450. 24" Monitor that 1080p would be a lot better because you get a 16:9 ratio and more desktop space because the resolution is higher. What's your budget?

i will not be overclocking and the budget is around $1500. thanks for the feedback. and can you also recommend a case? thanks again.

Well a Cooler Master HAF X is the dream case but a really good case for the money is the Cooler Master 690 II. I would strongly advocate for overclocking as it's some what free performance and the parts you've selected are made for overclocking.

The only real suggestions I have are as follows:

Up the psu to 750 to give you head room for future graphics cards and if you plan on overclocking at all.

Downgrade the HAF-X to the 932 or 922.. save some cash.. its a pretty case, but its massive and mostly created for the Eatx boards..but of course this is users choice!

Upgrade ram to DDR3 1600 (your mobo can handle this)

and if budget allows.. upgrade video card to 58XX

I would disagree about the ssd not helping. It's gonna help a lot that even raid 0 raptors cant touch. The system will feel more smooth, file transfers much faster, installations are faster, and programs load faster including Windows 7. Most systems these days, the bottleneck is actually the hard drive.

Yeah but SSD's are so small that most of the big programs and media will be on a HDD. Windows 7 will load faster and be smoother but their size and price is way too extreme. I say wait till prices come down but that's your choice.

If i had the cash i'd be all over the SSDs, but price per GB to me just isn't worth the load times.. I can wait an extra 5-10 seconds.. my pc isnt going to run away from me before then!

What will affect a video/picture editing system the most is running out of physical memory followed by how quickly you can get data to flow through the system. To that end I'd recommend skipping the SSD's for now and get 3x 1TB western digital Black edition hard drives and run them in RAID 0. upgrade to SSD later. Also you may want to consider as much as 12GB of RAM.

Does anyone know if photo or video editing software uses CUDA support? If so a nvidia might be better

i believe photoshop uses both cuda and openGL, but I believe the cuda has better support.. i could be wrong!

yead, the ssd would be great if he could get it, but a budget of 1500 leaves me thinking 3x 1TB is a better option

Back